Should I?

Reaction score
Debating if I should step up to the new iPod Touch 2nd Gen..someone's willing to give me $350 for my 1st gen so I'm seeing if it's worth it. Hopefully someone will chime in. I've been hearing about a lot of problems with connection to wifi and the screen squeaking and stuff...let me know guys

Thanks...

and by the way, I'm new to the site..looks good so far

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The new one has a built in speaker, external volume controls, and I believe it's slimmer, not to mention it comes with the 2.1 update, you won't have to pay extra for it. If somebody is willing to take your current one off your hands, then I say go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Wi-Fi and screen problems? Haven't heard a single complaint.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow 350 for a first gen, I would totally go for that. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Why do you want to upgrade? The new one is hardly any different, and you would be taking a financial hit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well technically he'll be saving money on the 2.1 upgrade, so it's not THAT big of a hit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm shocked at why anyone would give you $350 for a 1st gen iPod Touch when they can get a 2nd gen for less than that. But maybe it's just me? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the ipod touch play through your car radio like older ipods?

There are a variety of ways to hook up an iPod to your car, but yes, a touch will connect just like any other iPod. The only thing you need to look out for is that not all FM radio transmitters are supported, so double check for support before buying one.

I'm shocked at why anyone would give you $350 for a 1st gen iPod Touch when they can get a 2nd gen for less than that. But maybe it's just me? :)

When somebody is offering you a really good deal, you don't question it :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are a variety of ways to hook up an iPod to your car, but yes, a touch will connect just like any other iPod. The only thing you need to look out for is that not all FM radio transmitters are supported, so double check for support before buying one.

When somebody is offering you a really good deal, you don't question it :p

I have a lot of trouble with aftermarket accessories and my 2nd generation Touch. Specifically, I haven't been able to use my iPod Touch with my car's iPod integration system. This is in part due to the fact that Apple changed the charging pin on the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G.

Also, there are some known issues with WPA/WPA2 Wi-Fi encryption with the 2G iPod Touch. I suspect that these are just software glitches and will be patched soon, but it might be helpful to know that up front.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would the touch have issues with WPA encryption? I have an iPhone 3G and it works just fine on every encrypted network I've connected it to (all of which were WPA protected)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why would the touch have issues with WPA encryption? I have an iPhone 3G and it works just fine on every encrypted network I've connected it to (all of which were WPA protected)

Dunno, but it does. There's some LONG threads out on Apple's forums in regard to it.

Apple - Support - Discussions - WPA on 2nd Gen 2.1.1 ...

Apple is apparently aware of the problem and working on a fix. There are some recurring router names popping up in that thread (the DIR-655 being one of them), but in general it has some issues with WPA/WPA2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.