newbie question

T

The mac 13

ok i am going to download darwin 7.0.1 i was wondering. whats the minumum specs? i am using 700mhz, 256mb ram. when i try to download, there is a iso.gz. what to do with the gz? i have winzip, and opera's download thingy shows that it can be opened using winzip. ok lets say i have finish downloading it. what to do. also, darwin installs via boot up rite?

OP
M

meltbanana314

Whoa, whoa. Darwin isn't like a program that you can just open up like that. You need to create a boot disk/boot CD of some sort. Then, you will need to repartition your hard drive (otherwise Darwin will install itself over Windows.)

Darwin is basically just a kernel and not much else. It's the most stripped down UNIX system I've ever seen. No browser, no mail client, no nothing. If you want to experiment with UNIX, then go Google for cygwin (a UNIX-like environment for Windows), or install Linux.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.