Hi, I'm a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod
And I'm thinking of becoming a half mac half PC!

Ok heres the deal, have a big gaming rig at home, 22 inch wide screen dual graphics card vista ultimate.

I have all the processing and video power I could need at home.

I ALSO have a windows home server that all my PC's are linked to and backed up along with all my media.

I work at a fairly mac friendly place, (no official support, but don't discourage it, and have some software licenses and solutions for VPN's and standard stuff).

I have the standard issue lenovo T61. It is fine but I am really interested in playing around in the mac world. I have toyed with Ubuntu 8.04, it was pretty nice, I had my IT image of XP pro on it and it was ok but It wasn't really what I was looking for because I had to do fairly heavy troubleshooting on every new thing I wanted to do with Linux.

My boss and friend at work both use Macbook Pro's. My main use is word processing, messaging, video and web conferencing, surfing, and some heavy microsoft viseo use.

I am intrigued with the macbook air, think the macbook pro is overkill for my use, and dangling in front of me are a new version of macbook's that hasn't been confirmed.

Popular consensus at work is, wait for the new macbooks. I have been searching for one in the right area for the right price for a while. I have e-mailed probably 10-15 people about their for sale comps and 60 percent are sold 35 percent are too expensive and 5 percent never answer.

It seems like an obvious choice, wait till the 14th see if something comes out. But with the new machines on the horizon I figure I can get some killer deals, and I have passed up on two pretty good deals waiting for the inevitable new macbook.

Am I making the wrong decision?

Blackbook brand spankin' new in box 1200 bucks, local. Brand spankin' new macbook air overnight shipped for 1450. Can't find a used air for 1200 that isn't sold.

Will these new ones come out on tuesday the 14th? Are they worth waiting for? Can the MAC fortune teller explain to me what to do! The air will still definitely be for sale, the blackbook I don't know, couldn't find it on craigslist after I initially e-mailed about it but I have the e-mail still.

The itch is becoming a rash which may or may not be infected.

Aka, I will go crazy if I wait till the 14th and nothing comes and there is no word on when they will. I already have an appointment at the local mac store in Durham scheduled for the evening of the 14th.

The sales person on apple.com said, If you don't buy because you are waiting for the next latest greatest thing from us you will always be waiting. Great advice but is it just too close to a refresh to not wait?

Thanks for any input.

Bash lightly ;)

Budget 1500 max, 1000-1200 preferred. Not looking at anything but current gen macbooks if you have a suggestion for a used one you know about.

Thanks again!

OP
terrible1one3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, figured it was in the right place since all my decisions are based on the rumors of new macbooks and I was asking for responses based on peoples experiences in the past with rumors of new macbooks.

But this works just fine also. I'm sure the point will get across in either forum ;D

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Rumours are often quite accurate and I would expect new MacBooks this month.

On the other hand, I can tell you're itching to try the Air. Half the Mac 'thing' is wanting the object. It's not a beige PC box or dishwasher.

OP
terrible1one3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good to hear about the rumors!

I am interpreting your second comment to mean I am intrigued by the looks of the macbook air, like it is wooing me towards it. Is that what you meant? That very well could be true ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD, 250GB hard drive, 8x double-layer SuperDrive
That's good to hear about the rumors!

I am interpreting your second comment to mean I am intrigued by the looks of the macbook air, like it is wooing me towards it. Is that what you meant? That very well could be true ;).
You want a computer with no CD drive? A quote from a MacBook review...

"Apple appears to have taken the poet and aviator Antoine de Saint Exupéry to heart... the Air dispenses with many of the ports and features of the MacBook Pro and even of the less expensive MacBook. There is no CD/DVD drive, no FireWire or Ethernet port, no microphone jack, no S-Video. MacBook Air has just three ports, hidden in a drop-down hatch on the right side: a headphone jack, a single USB port, and a micro-DVI port are its sole concessions to the wired world."

Source: Review: MacBook Air

OP
terrible1one3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, Honestly, only use CD's to reload windows at this point :). Thumb drives for everything else, and I can't remember the last time I used more than one USB port on my laptop anyways.

I am over the lack of ports and optical drives, I like it, it is moving in the right direction. Let me tell you my T61 has a vga port (used twice available on the air), ethernet port never used, smart card port never used, scandisc port never used, dvd rom used to reload windows, Wireless on/off switch what else are function keys for?

Honestly I hope CD's are on their way out, I hate them. Thumb drives are the best, they should sell CD's on them!

Reaction score
You sound like me a week and a half ago.... I had been wanting a MBP for a year and a half but never pulled the trigger. A couple of weeks ago the bug started biting so I went to the brand new local Apple store and fell in love with the MB ... I had never considered the MB b/c of the 13" screen but when I saw how amazing the screen looked and realized the mid range MB has the same processor and same ram as the 700 more expensive MBP I was sold... I haven't regretted it at all... If new MB's come out tomorrow I won't even care because I love this one soo much... I haven't even missed my Windows machine... I had only been using my MB for 2 hours when I went to my PC to set up printer sharing and the PC was annoying me with how much less peppy and less pretty it was than my MB...

This 13" glossy screen running at 1280x800 looks better than my pc with a 22" matte screen running at 1680x1050 with a 8800GTS 320 ( I haven't tried any games on my MB though... it's for schoolwork :)

Reaction score
At first I thought the 13" screen might be an issue at my house too. I was used to larger, and my wife griped about it being too small.

After about a week I found myself prying it out of her hands though, and that hasn't changed in the year we have owned it. We still fight over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Do you really need the portability? If not then an imac might just be right up your alley. Either way keep an eye on the Apple refurbished store. I've seen quite a few real bargains pop up there.

And good luck with your search.

OP
terrible1one3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello

I don't know if I am blind but I can't figure out how to edit previous posts of my own.

Anyway, I found a local air used for the price I was looking for so I pulled the trigger.

I am very excited to pick it up tonight.

I played with it at the retail store for about an hour the other night and just knew it was perfect for me.

I am 100% in need of the portability and not in need of all the extras or power I get from the macbook. I know I could get a new macbook for cheap and it is stronger and more versatile but I am getting this air for the same price as a mid range macbook, and I don't have a need for everything else AND it comes with the extended apple car so even better!

Thanks for the responses. 13 inch screens are perfect for me

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.