Is the new one worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Hey, everyone. I was wondering if the new iPod Touch is really worth it. You can get a 1st generation iPod Touch for $179.00, or I could get the new one for 239. The only real new thing is the new look (I can live without the new look) and it's got the speaker and external volume control. Is it worth the extra cash? I'm sure there is a 3rd party speaker you can get for the 1st generation, but I'm not sure. So, is the new one worth it?

Thanks

Forum Shark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Well I never had a 1st gen touch but I'm starting to really love my new 2nd gen 32GB touch. The external speaker is great for reviewing music in the iTunes store and also viewing YouTube. I like to have most of my music collection available too, so although 32GB is still a bit slim it's the biggest available yet. The new styling of the iPod Touch is very slick too, feels great on the hand but whether that is a deciding factor is up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I'm not sure whether it's just that its new and shiny, but I do like the feel of the new model and how thin it is. It also seems a little more responsive than my 1st gen. The external speaker makes this really fun. I'd probably go for the newer one, but then again, it depends how much you value having the latest and greatest. All up, I don't know if it's worth $60... probably not, maybe $40 or $50. So I'd look at it as whether I had $60 spare or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4" C2D 2.4GHz 2GB Ram 160GB HD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Nano 8GB
If you have the first gen ipod touch then no, it's not really worth it. If you don't have one yet, might as well go for the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You might as well go for the newer, but there's only a miniscule difference between the two.

They've only given the new one a new back, thrown in a speaker and added a volume control so they can sell some more at Christmas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The remote control feature and external volume controls would be reason enough for me to spend the extra cash for the new one.

If I had to pull out my iPhone and unlock the screen every time I wanted to adjust the volume it would drive me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
You don't have to unlock the screen to adjust the volume- just tap the Home button twice and then adjust the volume, skip songs or whatever. The screen stays locked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Karudzo

Wow, thanks for that.

The only irritation I had with my ('old') iTouch was that I had to unlock it to adjust the volume.

Due to your post . . . I don't. Thanks a heap.

My iTouch is only 9 weeks or so old as I had no idea a new one was coming out. That said, I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You don't have to unlock the screen to adjust the volume- just tap the Home button twice and then adjust the volume, skip songs or whatever. The screen stays locked.

But you can't do that while it's still in your pocket, which is what I believe Apt was getting at

OP
Forum Shark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
What I meant was... Should I buy the new one or the older one. Is the extra money worth it, or is it fine to buy the older one? Thanks for all you input, by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'd say buy the new one simply because it has more features and you won't have to pay extra for the 2.0 update.

Reaction score
If you have an older model touch, the new one has nothing compelling worth the $229+ upgrade. But if you don't have a touch yet, the new one is better than the old one and would be a great buy. The new speaker isn't anything to get too excited about, it's just for causal listening. But the app store is the best thing ever. The free apps available are just shocking!! And more apps come in every day. It is also thinner than the older touch. Oh yeah, and don't forget about the external volume controls.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.