USB HUB for Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
Hey all,

I have a 4 ports USB HUB from Logitech that I've been trying to use with Time Capsule. The HUB has its own power supply.
However, when I plug the HUB into TC and then attach some peripherals such as external disks, the TC doesn't see the disks correctly.

One of the disk is formatted for Mac and doesn't show up.
The other one is NTFS, it shows up into Airport Utility but reported to have problems and needs repair.
If I plug an iPod it doesn't show up in iTunes but it does in Airport Utility.
Printer is fine.

Any idea on what's the issue? Maybe my USB HUB isn't the best for Time Capsule? Has anyone successfully managed to plug a USB HUB and has all peripherals working correctly?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mbp 2.4GHz, 2GB ram 15.4
I am using an APC 4 port hub. I have a Western Digital My Book and a Canon i560 printer plugged into it. My Book is partitioned for use by Mac and PC. Time machine is working OK with it, also the printer. I have Airport Extreme though not Time Capsule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A thought - how old is that Logitech USB hub? I'm wondering if it's USB1.1. [For example, I have two powered Kouwell hubs, faultless performance with every peripheral I have and use - but at 1.1 speed.] Maybe TC won't accept USB1.1.

OP
Fidou
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
It's not very old as it's a 2.0 USB HUB.

I've done some search and I found that using a USB HUB with a Time Capsule seems to be pretty random...

Reaction score
HD NTFS and TC with Hub

Hi Fidou,

If you have resolved this could you please let me know as I have a related issue, please read below, in fact I tried a hub but it did not even recognize the I had an external HD with a problem, and my hub is a usb2.

Here is my post but it is in another thread:Hi, I hope your solutions may help with my problem. I have a time capsule and works brill with my mac's but I also have PC's with NTFS files system, I have an external HD NTFS that is not recognized when plugged into TC, I can see it but no options to access it on a Mac, not even for reading and on the PC, I can only see TC.

Would having two routers, solve this problem, so that I could attach the USB external HD to the router that is not TC?

Any other way of doing this? I think the problem I have that anything attaching to TC that is NTFS will not work. I also have an external HD Minimax that has USB in the back of it, could I maybe plug this to TC and format it into HFS (Mac system files) and then plug external HD NTFS to it?

I don't want to give up on TC as it is perfect for everything else but cannot for work reason leave my PC's out of the loop.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Some peripherals won't work through hubs. For example, a small external HD I have won't work as I assume it doesn't get enough power. My other external does work but is excruciatingly slow. Have you tried plugging your peripherals directly into TC?

Reaction score
It could still be a USB 1.1 hub that is labeled 2.0. I hit this problem a few years ago (with windoze boxes). When the 2.0 specification came out, the manufacturers had warehouses full of 1.1 stuff they they were not going to be able to give away. Somehow, they got permission to label them 2.0 just because they would work when plugged into a real 2.0 sender. (Despite many queries, I never was able to determine who had the authority to make false advertising legal.)

Anyway, a "real" 2.0 device was supposed to be labeled "2.0 Fast" with a flag in the emblem. Some were, although most just carried the 2.0 logo. It was a real pain trying to order a genuine 2.0 devices as dealers were trying to dump their stock. Most of the above is in the past, but as late as last year I had two customers, at separate times (and from separate internet sites) get two of the "counterfeit" hubs. There are probably many more instances that don't come to light because of newbie ignorance or being used in a configuration that speed doesn't matter.

There used to be USB device speed checkers around for Linux and Windows - I assume that was also for Mac. I would try one with a device that works and see what you come up with.

Konan

Reaction score
Hi Vansmith and Konan, I am still new at this posting etc, so I keep having to search for my posts to see if I get a reply and I must be searching wrong as I never find my posts again!

Anyway, thanks for your reply, I have attached the ntfs drive directly to time capsule but no luck, I have since bought a network hardrive and connected to TC with ethernet and found it find but then I realised that it came pre formatted on FAT 32 so I need to re format to NTFS, although IOMEGA say if it is reformatted to NTFS it will loose the networkability, so I am still stuck trying to find a way to have a wireless external NTFS hardrive that connects through TC. I am loosing the will to keep trying. Any ideas?
Thanks again for replying, it feels so good when you get a response.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.