Networking Two Macs ?

Reaction score
hello,

i am not that familiar with macs but doing this for a friend.....

his current setup.....one mac computer that is plugged into a wireless router with an ethernet cable.....and one wireless laptop that has internet access (wireless) through the router also.....

basically he wants to keep the setup as it is but he wants to be able to share files between the computers.....is this possible with the current setup/hardware???.....or does he need a wireless hub/switch to do this??

and what settings do i need to change????

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
well if both systems are his and both are on a wireless adapter, all you should need to do is enable appletalk in the network settings and the two computers should be visible to each other.

Another option would be for him to purchase mobileme, with this service the two computers don't even need to be on the same network to share files, they can access each others drives trough "back to my mac" which works anywhere as long as both computers have internet access.

OP
B
Reaction score
can i do this just by keeping the setup exactly the same (hardware) and just changing some settings on the computers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.