Entourage (and other MS Office apps) crash, crash, crash

Reaction score
I only use entourage on a regular basis and once in awhile word or powerpoint - although I'm looking to dump the whole so-called application (virus?).

Almost every time I reboot my mac entourage (or any other ms office app) crashes with a message :

"Microsoft Entourage has encountered a problem an needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

A restart of the app causes a crash as well.

Sometimes changing the permissions like this makes it work:

cd Library/Preferences
chmod -R 755 ./Microsoft

However most of the time I need to delete the Microsoft dir.

Even if changing perms does work, I need to go through it again next time I reboot.

Any thoughts ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of Office are you using, 2004 or 2008? Have you downloaded all the updates to Office? Have you tried uninstalling Office and re-installing?

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm running Office 2008, I have all the patches installed - and yes I did try un-installing/re-installing with no change in behavior.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like a corrupt preference file. Make sure Office is not running, go to Home>Library>Preferences>Microsoft>office2008 and drag to the desktop 'Microsoft Office 2008 Settingsp.list' and any other settings files that may be listed for Powerpoint etc.

Reboot and see if the problem has been resolved as new preference file will be created. If all well trash the desktop stored files.

Try The PowerPoint FAQ List also if problem ciontinues.

Keep us posted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.