Safari has unexpectedly quit / JavaScript

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
OS 10.3.9

I've been a victim of the dreaded safari crashes, which happened everytime I went to a site and used a link to other pages on that site. The error message always read:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000008

followed by 16 pages of weird stuff. Well, after a lot of troubleshooting, deleting safari prefs (didn't work), repairing permissions (nope, that neither) I found a temporary solution was to disable JavaScript in the Security prefs.

Can anyone explain? I'm fairly mac-literate but not a techie by a long straw. What's all that bad access, kern failure stuff? Has anyone any better & more lasting suggestions than disbling javascript? Or should I upgrade the OS to Tiger and switch to Firefox (can't get the new Firefox for 10.3.9).

Would welcome advice! Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX are you running? It sounds like it maybe Panther 10.3. A close friend had those same issues and switched to Tiger and the problem went away. Safari in 10.3.9 is way outdated and has issues with some Java sites. I tried an older Mac with 10.3.9 on the sites that were giving my friend issues and it crashed on my older system also.

Also can you give a few of the URL's that are crashing Safari on your system?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Both of those are fine here in Safari under Leopard 10.5.5. I will try them on my old iMac with 10.3.9.

EDIT: They crash here under 10.3.9 in Safari. They are fine on a Tiger or Leopard machine.

OP
polaire6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
That's good enough for me. I've just ordered the upgrade to Tiger. Thanks for running the control experiment; hopefully this thread will snag the attention of other crashers - there's a lot of Panther-Safari grief out there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The reason I was pretty sure is my friend tried everything including a fresh install of 10.3 and upgraded to 10.3.9 and his sites crashed Safari no matter what he did.

OP
polaire6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
Tiger installed, problem solved. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.