can't partition for bootcamp, files can't be moved?

Reaction score
How do I go about fixing this problem?

Picture1-4.png

I have everything backed up with time machine, so I have to format my hard drive now and use the install disk? How do I format my Hard Drive anyway? Sorry if I'm a bit lost, I've used nothing but windows until last year and I would appreciate a bit of guidance.

My macbook (mid-2007 release) was originally a Tiger then I upgraded to Leopard earlier this year.

Here's my specs:

Picture2-7.png

thanks.

Reaction score
i have the same problem but i have used macs a bit more. when i copied my hard disk over to my external hdd and then rebooted with alt held on it came up with my mac hd, boot from windows disc and there was the windows hd u would see after installing xp (instead of my external hd). i have come to the conclusion that this is due to the fact that something on the mac hard disk is still left over from a previous boot camp and that is showing up on my hard disk. how would i find and delete this anomaly?

Reaction score
A possible solution can be clearing the font-caches...

I have been struggling with this problem for 2 weeks, until I understood that files are locked when Mac OS X is started...

You can download a handy tool here called MainMenu:
Santa Software | MainMenu

Clear the font cache with that program and retry... Helped me on 2 mac's so far :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
reko:

This is a common problem that can only be cured by defragmenting the drive or completely erasing and reinstalling.

The least expensive way is to erase and reinstall. (make a backup first) Or, you can invest in "iDefrag" a program which will optimize and defragment the file structure on your drive.

Info and purchase from here: Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
tried idefrag and santa software

nothing has worked

now how do I go about backing up everything then RESTORING it

christ, I don't feel like rebuilding my OS to the way I like it

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm surprised iDefrag didn't work. I have never tried the Santa software so can't comment on that. Since iDefrag did not work, you may have some other issues preventing the moving of files\folders giving you clear space to create a Boot Camp partition.

One thing I didn't notice before is that your hard drive is almost full. That will adversely effect the way iDefrag can move files and clear space. I suggest you first try to get rid of files\folders you don't need in order to clear up some more HD space. The best way to offload iTunes music and videos is to an external HD.

If you can clear up another 20 GB or so on your hard drive, give iDefrag another go.

If you just want to erase and reinstall, backup everything you want to keep to an external hard drive. After reinstalling OS X you can restore your data. However, if your hard drive is still as full as it is now, Boot Camp may fail again.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm surprised iDefrag didn't work. I have never tried the Santa software so can't comment on that. Since iDefrag did not work, you may have some other issues preventing the moving of files\folders giving you clear space to create a Boot Camp partition.

One thing I didn't notice before is that your hard drive is almost full. That will adversely effect the way iDefrag can move files and clear space. I suggest you first try to get rid of files\folders you don't need in order to clear up some more HD space. The best way to offload iTunes music and videos is to an external HD.

If you can clear up another 20 GB or so on your hard drive, give iDefrag another go.

If you just want to erase and reinstall, backup everything you want to keep to an external hard drive. After reinstalling OS X you can restore your data. However, if your hard drive is still as full as it is now, Boot Camp may fail again.

Regards.

can I use my time machine backup?

theoretically speaking

everything is backed up right now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I Used Techtool Pro when I had this problem, and used the optimization feature, but because you have to start up from the DVD it has full access to all the files on the HDD. It has worked about 3 times for me now on different macs.

Reaction score
I also tried making a partition for windows, and i had exactly the same problem. My macbook was also orginally tiger but i ungraded.

I backed up my hardisk with time machine but boot camp still didnt work.

I need help a.s.a.p.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.