• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What paint is most durable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
So I'm getting another white iBook....
White iBook...

WHAT ABOUT RED? OR BROWN? OR ORANGE? OR BLUE?!?!?!
Yeah! I'll custom this one too! Question: What paint would stick best to the laptop and be the most durable? Such as resisting scratches and such??

jah

Reaction score
any type of automotive paint + put a few coats of clear coat, get a fixant so it will adhere to the plastic. this stuff is used on plastic bumpers.

deep dwn it will still be white tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes I'd like to know this too as the next imac I get I will defiantly look to getting it painted white. Like the old white imacs.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Thanks Jah,
Any idea where I could get fixant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12" 1.2, 32 gig iPad
Wal-mart has Bulldog adhesion promotor in the the automotive section. Then you can use any regular spray paint. Use several coats of clear to help with the durability. You can also use Fusion which is a paint made for plastics, also available at places like Wal-mart, Lowes, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
Wal-mart has Bulldog adhesion promotor in the the automotive section. Then you can use any regular spray paint. Use several coats of clear to help with the durability. You can also use Fusion which is a paint made for plastics, also available at places like Wal-mart, Lowes, etc.

to use something like fusion you have to first take off the coating over the plastic...so kinda wouldn't be worth it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.
Used to do this for a living...

Rub down macbook with a fine grade carbon paper leaving surfaces rough,

Use a low-build palstic primer, get a nice coverage but not too many coats,

Leave in a relatively dust free environment at room temperature for the plastic primer to cure properly for at least 24 hours.

Apply any automotive paint evenly in smooth side to side motion for about 3 coats or until properly covered.

Leave in a relatively dust free environment to cure properly for 24-48 hours.

Finally for the shineyest of finishes apply 1-2 coats of clear automotive spray laquer.

Once again, Leave in a relatively dust free environment to cure properly for 24 hours.

Your finish will be excellent and your paint job durable for normal everyday use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.