New Switch to iMac. 2 questions

Reaction score
Hi all. Long time PC user, just turned on my iMac tonight. I have a few newbie questions:

My web browser windows are small and it's hard to see the font and pics. Is there a way to make the window bigger? With the pc you just double clicked on the top of the window and it blew up.

Second, every time I open a pic or program, the dock at the bottom keeps a track of it. This is a little annoying. Can I turn that option off? the Mac also seems to track everything I looked at Today...and it looks like it will the next day. can this be turned off?

Lastly, with this Mighty Mouse, is there something that replaces the right click button?

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future, so I thank you for responding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
1. drag the bottom right corner until the window is the size you want. to increase the text size, use command(apple key) with the +.

2. not that i know of. it is keeping track of all the programs you have opened. even though you clicked the red x to close the picture or program doesnt mean that you closed the program. to close programs, use apple + q or go to to the tool bar and click file, then click close.

3. go into system preferences>keyboard and mouse and then set your mighty mouse buttons the way you want to.

OP
C
Reaction score
hmm I don't like that the computer tracks you like that. So how do you erase where you have been?

I also loaded AOL for Mac but none of my favorites are there. Any way to get them back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
hmm I don't like that the computer tracks you like that. So how do you erase where you have been?

I also loaded AOL for Mac but none of my favorites are there. Any way to get them back?

Uhh, Windows tracks what you've opened recently as well, it's just harder to find and clear it out. And if you are talking about the little dots below the applications on the dock, that means the app is active. Remember, it's not Windows, clicking the red X will not turn the program off, go to the task bar and drop down the menu of the program and choose QUIT, or right click on the app in the task bar and quit, or clover-Q will do the trick.

OP
C
Reaction score
ok ran into my first real problem. All of the wmv videos from my external hard drive cannot be recognized as videos! I tried looking for a converter but nothing is working. Can someone please help? Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel 20", 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, ATI Radeon HD, 250GB hard drive, 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ok ran into my first real problem. All of the wmv videos from my external hard drive cannot be recognized as videos! I tried looking for a converter but nothing is working. Can someone please help? Thanks so much.
I'm pretty sure OS X does not support wmv videos, but I might be wrong. Why is this so important? Also, there's no way to erase the history of the programs you have used as there is no way to see what you have gone to. Meaning- there's no point to try and erase the apps you have opened.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks. i downloaded the flip program. I tried opening one of the old movies, but it said that the file could not be opened. "The file is not a movie file." But just yesterday on my pc these were all movies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
thanks. i downloaded the flip program. I tried opening one of the old movies, but it said that the file could not be opened. "The file is not a movie file." But just yesterday on my pc these were all movies.

When opening WMV's or pretty much anything except .mov's I use VLC Player. It has support for a ton of formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

Do this have DRM protected content? If so, Flip will not play them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
My web browser windows are small and it's hard to see the font and pics. Is there a way to make the window bigger? With the pc you just double clicked on the top of the window and it blew up.

Remember that webpages look poor filling out the entire of a widescreen monitor. You'll often find you end up with big white spaces or lines of text over a foot wide if you do that.

Lastly, with this Mighty Mouse, is there something that replaces the right click button?
Ctrl-click sort of performs the Windows right click system, although things are often different in OS X. Have you experimented with Expose yet? You can use the 3 buttons to move around within the OS X.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks. VLC seems to be opening some of the wmv files. One old movie is in real media (.rm) but is not opening.

OP
C
Reaction score
Jeez. Problems keep rolling in:

Tried to install my HP Printer, but it's getting stuck on the installation. When I try to eject the disk, it says the program is running, but there is no way to stop it. Can't get the software installed.

Second, I attached my external from my PC to get all my documents and things. When I try to save things to the external, it wouldn't let me. What can I do?

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
thanks. VLC seems to be opening some of the wmv files. One old movie is in real media (.rm) but is not opening.

You have to use RealMedia to open the RM formats.

What HP printer are you trying to install? A lot of times you don't need to install anything to get the printers to work as most of the drivers of built into the kernel. If not, I would suggest going on HP's website and downloading the latest drivers and installing that way rather than using a disk.

The external won't let you copy on your PC or on your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro

Tried to install my HP Printer, but it's getting stuck on the installation. When I try to eject the disk, it says the program is running, but there is no way to stop it. Can't get the software installed.

Second, I attached my external from my PC to get all my documents and things. When I try to save things to the external, it wouldn't let me. What can I do?

Thanks everyone.

What format is the external drive in? If it is NTFS you might need something like Paragon NTFS for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

Thanks everyone.

HD is formatted wrong, the HP printer was probably already in your Mac's database. Try force quitting the app, ejecting the CD, and see if the printer will automatically find a driver for itself when you plug it in.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses.

I am not sure what format the HD is in, but it's clear that I cannot change it or add things to it on the Mac. I guess I have to get another external for just the Mac?

I tried force quitting the HP program, but the disc is still in there.

I will try going to the HP website for the drivers. I was able to print, but I can't use anything else on the printer like the scanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Thanks all for the responses.

I am not sure what format the HD is in, but it's clear that I cannot change it or add things to it on the Mac. I guess I have to get another external for just the Mac?

I tried force quitting the HP program, but the disc is still in there.

I will try going to the HP website for the drivers. I was able to print, but I can't use anything else on the printer like the scanner.

If worse comes to worse, reboot your computer and hold down the mouse button when it starts to boot, this will force eject any media in the super drive. I can't help with the scanner, I don't have one myself :( My HP printer was P and P though, had all necessary drivers on the Mac already, worked like a charm!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.