Need help with copying a data cd to mac os x tiger

Reaction score
Hi to all reading this post. I got a problem and I would appreciate some help. Basically I burned a data CD/R on a PC and I want to copy the contents of the CD to my mac.Cd was formatted with the PC. The files copied were folders containing music,mp3 format. I can't copy anything. Rather Mac os x won't display any folders when i open the cd. Could someone help me. Is that a problem with the formatting of the CD/R...cuz was thinking that the file systems might not agree or is it just that the cd is not working? What should I do to copy the files to the mac if it is possible. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2Ghz 2GB Ram 250GB HD OS X 10.55
Go the easy way, put the files on a USB Memorystic
Otherwise you need a crossover platform program
I am new to Mac to, but I solve my problem by the USB
Now I have a virtual machine installed and can use XP same time, and now it read cd and ntfs files easy
good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry Hellstens but this
Otherwise you need a crossover platform program
is a bit mis-leading. The OPs problem isn't an application issue.

When writing the disc don't use any packet writing software where you have to format the CD. Just create a data CD with your MP3s on it.

If you create a standard data CD it will work on any platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so if I use VMware Fusion and XP it still don't read the CD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you say i a miss-leading him when I say he need crossover platform, and I ask you if I run Windows XP in Mac I still can not read the CD?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
you say i a miss-leading him when I say he need crossover platform, and I ask you if I run Windows XP in Mac I still can not read the CD?

There are many different ways to write a CD. One of the methods that many CD writing applications offer is called "packet writing". Packet writing treats a CD as though it were any other type of media, allowing you to write many times over to the same session. The trouble is, in order to read that kind of a CD, you need to have software installed on the destination PC that is capable of discerning that somewhat proprietary writing method.

What MrPlow is saying is that the issue isn't one of software compatibility. It's that the OP's Mac doesn't have a packet writing application installed. The same would be true if he were going from his Windows machine to another Windows machine that doesn't have packet writing software.

With that said, it's not really necessary to have such an application if the OP simply creates a standard "data" disc from the CD writing app of their choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OP hasn't posted back so I suspect this is a dead topic.

However, I suspect the problem is with how the disc was written.

For instance if the disc was formatted for packet writing and not 'finished' (rather than burning the whole disc at once) you would need a UDF driver installed for it to read. That's just one scenario that would explain what's happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I understand what you men, now I se he format the CD that is a different
thing,
Sorry for that, I don't se in the beginning, (dirty glasses ;-)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok I understand what you men, now I se he format the CD that is a different
thing,
Sorry for that, I don't se in the beginning, (dirty glasses ;-)

Windows XP introduced packet writing into the OS, but understand that it's not the proper way to master a CD. It's convenient, but it really should be used for casual burning and not for anything archival or to use between systems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.