Macbook AppleCare

Reaction score
I bought a macbook a while ago, and still haven't decided on purchasing Apple Care. I am student, so its hard to let go of almost$300. Do you guys think that its a good idea to get the warranty or not.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You might want to read up on my article (in the siggy I think). In any case, hit eBay as you should get a really good deal there. Almost everyone I know who has bought it from eBay has had no issues at all. You can get it for around $140 or so...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, yes, and yes! I know an outlay of $249.00 for a college student may seem like a lot of $$ considering how much the initial cost of the machine was.

But if you think about how much it would cost to replace a logic board, display, hard drive, optical drive, or another major component, applecare is a bargain.

Plus the great service you receive for two additional years including phone support is well worth the price. My opinion of course, but I think you'll find the majority of folks that post here will agree.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, yes, and yes! I know an outlay of $249.00 for a college student may seem like a lot of $$ considering how much the initial cost of the machine was.

But if you think about how much it would cost to replace a logic board, display, hard drive, optical drive, or another major component, applecare is a bargain.

Plus the great service you receive for two additional years including phone support is well worth the price. My opinion of course, but I think you'll find the majority of folks that post here will agree.

Regards.

lol..i knew you guys would convince me on buying it. To think of it, it makes sense to have insurance on such a hefty purchase.

You might want to read up on my article (in the siggy I think). In any case, hit eBay as you should get a really good deal there. Almost everyone I know who has bought it from eBay has had no issues at all. You can get it for around $140 or so...

I tried searching ebay but the prices weren't that different. Can you recommend me the store where you bought it? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Unfortunately, I bought mine from the store. Didn't know about eBay. Anyway, here's some relatively 'safe' links. $160 is the lowest I could find aside from the bidding.

eBay 1

eBay 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook soon!
I got mine on Ebay for 129.00 for a macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53Ghz (with 512MB NVIDIA 9600M GT), silver iPod Classic 120GB, white iPhone 3G
Is Apple Care the best warranty to get?

I agree that you should definitely have a warranty. A warranty is an investment, but having one will let you relax about your other (considerably larger) investment: your Mac.

Of course, I've never owned a Mac so I've never had any experiences with Apple Care. I am about to get my first Mac, probably a MacBook Pro, but I am waiting for the impending refresh. I fully intend to purchase Apple Care.

Here's a related issue I'm curious about: Does anyone here have experience with other warranty plans that provide coverage for accidental damage?

MacMall sells another 3-year plan through a company called Service Net for the same price as Apple Care (with the student discount). This plan claims to include accidental damage coverage, but I cannot find much information about their services. So far all I've found is the company's website.

I'm keen on Apple Care because of the ease of service. From what I've heard, dealing with Apple seems to be a pleasurable experience, even for repairs and the like. However, accidental damage coverage for the same price seems like it could be a better option.

Anyone heard of Service Net before?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
This topic has been discussed before. The bottom line is that everyone on Mac forums agree that AppleCare is a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
As other people have suggested while Applecare isn't cheap it's worth it. Some have said they haven't had experience with Applecare, but I have. All calls are handled in America, the people are knowledgeable and courteous. They are friendly and make you feel good about calling them. They don't give you the run around. If they can't fix your problem over the phone they will give you an address and business listing where you can take it to be fixed. I've been very satisfied with Applecare and Apple in general. I would very much urge you to get Applecare.

Other btw have mentioned that Apple parts are expensive and it's true. Apple products are made well but when you USE things they get worn. Apple lasts for a long time but it only takes one thing to go wrong and you'll be spending more then you would for applecare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.