Onyx Help

Reaction score
Hey guys-
I just downloaded Onyx onto my Macbook pro but I am not quit sure how best to use the application. Any tips or advice from those more tech savvy?
Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Onyx is tops.
1. Open the app.
2. You'll be prompted to choose the S.M.A.R.T. status (I think), if your HD is HFS+ (journaled). I don't bother, since I have another app that does that.
3. Then you'll be prompted to do Verify Startup Disk. That takes a while. I don't use it, as my HD is the only drive in my Mac
4. You'll be prompted to enter your password so that Onyx can get into the System.
5. Click Maintenance (the cog wheel)
6. Click Permissions and Execute - this process may take a long time, first time, it may not, depends on the state of the System.
That's all I do. You can choose to clean caches if you wish, also do various other maintenance tasks. You should run Onyx about once a week or ten days, depending on how much you use your Mac. Some people run Onyx once a month, but I think that's too long a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PowerMac Dual 2.3 GHz 8GB DDR2 SDRAM Os X 10.4.11
I have MainMenu. Is this the same as Onyx? Does it do pretty much the same thing?
Is there any way to automate these tasks? I have a few Macs, and I'd just like to have something like this run in the background once a week.
Thanks,
Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a look at Macaroni from Atomic Bird. It runs scripts and maintenance chores automatically and costs less than $10. There is a free 35 day trial at:-

Macaroni | atomicbird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like everything else in life a matter of opinion I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.