Running XP on mac on external drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 24", Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
Hello guys,
I hav a question to ask. I want to use xp on mac without playing around with the Mac HD. I want to install windows on a separate external usb drive and use it with mac. And I dont want the windows viruses to MESS around with my Mac HD. I want the Mac HD safe under any condition, as it is very important for my work and even a day without the mac would cause me losses. I also use a firewire drive on which my sound libraries are stored and which i use with logic on mac, and these same libraries I would want to use with Ableton Live, Cubase and FL studio on windows. So there are again chances of viruses going into my 500GB firefire drive, which is also very important for my work. Please help me in this tricky situation. I know I hav asked lots of questions, but I hope for your kind answers.
Thanx in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not install XP on an external hard drive whether it's attached to a Mac or another PC. That's the way Microsoft designed it. There are reported hacks floating around the NET that you may be able to find. Bear in mind that it is also a violation the MS EULA.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so is there any other solution?
if i use VMware, will the viruses be able to affect my macintosh hd?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh thts gr8!
thankyou.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667MHz, OSX 10.5.6
External Firewire

I have a question.

Could I take the hard drive that is in my pc now and put it in a firewire enclosure and have windows run on my mac from the firewire enclosure.

I know windows wont recognise the hardware but i can put the install disk and do a repair so i fixes that issue,

but first just wanted to know if mac would be able to run the windows from a firewire enclosure?

Thx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.