Explain Download Volumes and Mountpoints?

Reaction score
:) Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there could explain the download process to me. When I download software, the 'volume' appears on my desktop, I drag the app to the app folder, the volume is still there. Do I need it?

Also, I was wondering about the mountpoint. What exactly is it? Just the place that the app was installed to?

Then, if I install something that doesn't work, how do I un-install it? I tried to install a php version that was supposedly specifically for OSX. It isn't working. I'd like to un-install and try again. How do we do that?

Would appreciate any help on this....

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you have copies an application to your local applications folder, then you can drag the volume to the trash to unmount it

MOuntpoint? I assume you mean that volume that appears. Its the default way to install OS X apps, like a virtual drive. Once you have copied the app to your local drive then they are not needed.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I guess my biggest 'worry' was if I have to do some sort of cleaning process before I try to re-install, or if just dragging the app to the trash would get it all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.