Care to help a newbie with some VERY basic questions??

Reaction score
OK...First, I'm a newbie to my IMac One month), but have had a PC for well over 10 years...So please excuse my ignorance?

First...I got Paraells with my Mac and it's WAY cool! I love being able to use Mac and Windows. But, something weird just happened (After it working fine since I got it.)

As some of you may know, when you are running both Mac and Windows, it leaves a space at the bottom so you can see and utilize the dock. This works well when switching back and forth from Mac to Windows.

Well...All of the sudden, only Mack has left the dock visible. When I switch to Windows, it takes up the entire monitor. Meaning I have to shut Windows down in order to access Mac...A REAL HASSLE!

And I can't seem to switch it back!

Any help?

Also...

I can't figure-out the Mac mouse. With windows, if you wanted to open a link into a different window, all you had to do is right click the mouse and the new link opened. But for the life of me, I can figure out what the right click of the Mack mouse is for?Huh

Also...

I have figured-out how to highlight text with the Mac mouse and then drag it to the place you want. But many times, I want to drag it to Windows and it doesn't work???

I know this is a lot but I'm having a lot of troubles enjoying my Mac and am just looking for help. If you can help me, I we you a coke!

Thanks,

Johnny

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well I don't have Parallel but have you tried "Command + Tab"? to switch between Parallel and your other Mac Applications? I think this is very similar to Alt+Tab key command on Windows.

As for the highlighting text thing, I'm not sure about that? Why not just highlight and "Command+C" to copy and "Command+V" to paste?

As for the right click thing...you can just hold down "Command" when you want to open a new tab in a web browser, or you can hold down "Control" and it will give you sub options like a right click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
go to  menu > System preferences > Keyboard and Mouse. You can set the right click to secondary button there to get the same behaviour as windows

OP
J
Reaction score
Well I don't have Parallel but have you tried "Command + Tab"? to switch between Parallel and your other Mac Applications? I think this is very similar to Alt+Tab key command on Windows.

As for the highlighting text thing, I'm not sure about that? Why not just highlight and "Command+C" to copy and "Command+V" to paste?

As for the right click thing...you can just hold down "Command" when you want to open a new tab in a web browser, or you can hold down "Control" and it will give you sub options like a right click.

VERY good stuff Crimson!! Especially the "Hold down Command" to open a new window from an URL. I'm just wondering, do you hit the left or right button on the mouse?

As for copying and pasting, it works when you're using it on the same page, but if you want to go to another page to paste it, it doesn't work. Any ideas around that?

Thanks again, you've been a big help!!!

OP
J
Reaction score
go to  menu > System preferences > Keyboard and Mouse. You can set the right click to secondary button there to get the same behaviour as windows

Oh MAN!!!!!

I was blind but now I can see!

I owe YOU a Jim Beam and Coke!!!

Just OUTSTANDING information!!!

Johnny

OP
J
Reaction score

Any ideas on how you can copy and paste exactly like in Windows???

(Yeah, I'm pushing my luck!!! ;) )

Johnny

Reaction score
Well in mac you don't click ctrl c or ctrl v anymore
you click command c and command v, that's the only difference

OP
J
Reaction score
How do I find the second page to this thread? I Looked for about 10 minutes, so please forgive my ignorance?)

I've seemed to have lost a question I asked.

Thanks,

Johnny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
There has yet to be a second page, are you sure you hit "Post"?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.