Music Hard Drive Setup?

Reaction score
Hi,
I am waiting delivery of a mac pro dual quad 2.8 and I am getting a 500GB option in bay 1

I am ordering 2 x Samsung (finger crossed) F1 1TB drives (Bay 2 and Bay 3).

My main use will be for producing music which will therefore run plug-ins instruments, effects, work with audio files...

Would a setup like this be ok?

Setup A
500GB Drive 1 = System and other applications (e.g. Logic Pro, virtual insrtuments, other apps)
1TB Drive 2 = Audio library (Samples, sounds from virtual instruments many GBs large, etc... )
1TB Drive 2 = all sort of stuff from scratch disk to personal family files like photos, movies, music, etc...)
Will then use external Hard Drive to back up stuff I don't want to lose

Setup B
500GB Drive 1 = System (too large for just system)
1TB Drive 2 = Applications
1TB Drive 3 = Data (audio files, audio library, personal photos-movies-music, etc...)

Other option?

If I want to have a dual but with Windows XP... will I be able to just add another Drive (Internal/External) for a dual boot start up?

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
Personally, I would keep all your system and application files on the same drive, makes more sense to me... Essentially, go with option #1. Not sure that you'd want to separate your loops either... May be better to keep them all on drive #1.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi,
the idea to separate audio files or the audio files of a library is that it will give you faster audio streaming because that drive is only accessed for streaming audio while system and apps are run from another drive.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have one more drive than you and do video but I find this works well for me:

Bay 1) System, Applications, Smallish every day personal files (documents chat logs, etc)

Bay2 ) Personal Files (Music Library, Photos, etc)

Bay 3) Work Files (Captures, Royalty free media, etc.)

Bay 4) Scratch Disks

External 1-3 ) Back up

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.