iBook or Powerbook

T

telemore

Hi all, I'm new to the world of Mac, and I'm lookin for a portable. What I wanted to know, I'm mostly interested in using it for music editing and basic usage, which would suit me better? Is the iBook powerful enough, or should I just go for the Powerbook?

Thanks,
Jacob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the ibook would be good enough if you have a good enough amount of ram. also the faster the processor you can get, the better.

OP
D

Danster

Macman said:
the ibook would be good enough if you have a good enough amount of ram. also the faster the processor you can get, the better.

i thought having a higher Ghz ment nothing and was just a marketing scam
if so i have seen pentium 4's with speeds up to 3.6+ are they faster than my G5 1.8?

OP
P

Phiber

Oh sweet lord, here it comes..

How, praytell, would having a higher clock cycle be a scam? You must consider this, also: Intel based computers differ GREATLY from Apples. Sorry for the vagueness, but I seem to remember being told that it was in the way they processed that data; i.e. they came from the other side of the bit sequence it was reading? From what I also understand, Apples are very effecient in their data processing but HOARD RAM.

To answer your question Danster, yes those processors have a higher clock cycle.

Reaction score
For a given processor type, the one running at high clock speed will be faster. A Pentium 4 2.6ghz is going to be slower than a Pentium 4 3.2ghz. The same is true for a G4, a 1.2ghz G4 processor is going to be slower than a 1.33ghz G4 processor. Don't bother trying to compare processors of different architectures, you'll never find a good answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Unless you are doing some heavy video editing or some commercial usage, an ibook would be more than enough. I am on my second g4 ibook and still learning new things, now I am into web design and this little ibook still outdoes other un-nameable machines. Trying to compare macs with other processors is like trying to compare apples to couliflower. Sure they're both nutritous, but one taste good and is easy to eat, the other taste like crap and gives you gas. the faster the APPLE processor and ram you can get, obviously the better. Forget intel, if you wanted a windows machine you wouldn't be on this board. your best bet, get an ibook, get the best speed processor you can, maximize your ram, and you are good to go.

OP
G

George Smiley

Ibooks get the job done

I use an old ibook G3 800 MHZ machine as my teaching computer at the university. While I have a powerbook as well, I find the ibook does everything I need. I even dropped it from the seat of my car on to the pavement without any damage other than cosmetic.
The ibook will probably do what you need and the current processor speeds are fine for just about anything. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.