Keys on MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz G5-MacBook-Imac-Iphone-Ipod
well i spilled a little something on the keyboard a while back. only a few keys dont work which are, F6-6-y-h-n-space bar. All in a row. I tried to pull the keyboard out and clean it but its all a single piece and cant seem to find a way to get in there any better. Has this ever happened to anyone else. Am I up the creek? I really do not want to buy replacement if I do not have to. So if anyone knows anything please let me know.

Colin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on what you spilled. Was it water, coffee, coke, something else? Spills of soft drink or juice which contain sugar will usually cause the keys to stick or not make contact with the board. That type of spill almost always causes damage which may show up later on. The best way to clean the keyboard is to remove it entirely.

Removing it also allows you to get at the area beneath where the logic board is. Go to iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories and look up your model Mac and then look for instructions on how to remove and replace the keyboard assembly.

Regards.

Reaction score
where can i buy the replacement keyboard for my macbook pro 17" ? i see many web listings and prices from $38 to $115. They all seem shaky and I don't trust them. They list no phone numbers or addresses. Are there any recommendations as to a safe purchase?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
where can i buy the replacement keyboard for my macbook pro 17" ? i see many web listings and prices from $38 to $115. They all seem shaky and I don't trust them. They list no phone numbers or addresses. Are there any recommendations as to a safe purchase?

See my reply above your post. Click on the link.

Regards.

Reaction score
I did. That is one place to buy and it costs $98. What other sites are reliable to make a purchase? I see $38 as the lowest. Times are tough now being unemployed for almost six years thanx to our government.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.