10.5.5 Slow down

Reaction score
Have any of you guys noticed this? even since I installed the .5 update to Leopard both of my Macs have been running slow. I was sure of this so much so that I did a fresh install of Leopard,

on my iMac I have 10.5.5 and on my MBP I have 10.5.4 and the MBP seems much more responsive and both machines have the same spec as the laptop as a 7200 RPM HD. The iMac also had a fresh install but I installed the .5 update on this.

I have used the combo update not the system update.

I just wondered if any of you guys had noticed this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I didn't notice any slowdowns when I installed 10.5.5 but it did break my Hurricane tracking program. In case you're not aware, 10,5.5 installs a new version of OpenGL. I wound up reverting back to 10.5.4 using a Carbon Copy Cloner backup I made to my external HDD before I ran the update.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nope no slow down at all but I did have to boot zapping the PRAM but then again I do not use iTunes. Already there is an update if you downloaded iTunes 8 to v.8.0.1.

Reaction score
10.5.5 slowdown

we're a graphic design agency and since downloading 10.5.5 on all our 5 macs we've noticed a slow down... any thoughts (it's even difficult to write this comment!!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 3.1, 2.2 GHz, 4 GB, 7200 RPM 200 GB HD
Mine's been slow too.

Some things on my MacBook (3,1) have slowed down since 10.5.5. iPhoto is almost unusable, Quicktime stalls and stutters when playing movies, and playing Hulu movies on an external screen in full-screen mode causes the video to be choppy and jerky (but youtube works fine).

I was hoping the 10.5.6 update would help things but it didn't.

My sister has a MacBook (4,1) that doesn't have these problems. I'm finding it quite annoying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.