Wireless Connection problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac & Airbook
I have a Netgear DG834GT router which is presently connected via an ethernet cable to my desktop iMac, with a good connection speed and stability.

I am now trying to add a new airbook with 'Airport'. I have configured the router to wireless, and the laptop recognises the network signal being transmitted from the router. However when I select this to connect to, the laptop then requests a WEP password. I have set one up in the router, clicked 'generate' and then 'apply'.

The laptop does not respond to this when entered, and tells me I'm entering a duff password, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The WEP password you have entered into the router setup has to be likewise entered into the Airport security settings before it will connect.

In other words, if the password you entered into the router is: 1234567ABC,
you must also enter the same exact sequence into the airport settings.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac & Airbook
Thanks very much I have just connected via WPA and it works fine, I think I'd mis-entered the password with WEP, but with WPA I just typed the mac generated password and it worked.

Trouble is the airbook doesn't want to seem to remember the settings. Every time I switch off and re-boot I have to go through the set up sequence and depite asking the keychain to remember the password - it doesn't.

I have read about this elsewhere and if you can understand this the answer appears to be, and I quote:

'I removed Keychain and placed the Preferences App in the Applications folder(Was in Applications/Tools before) then I added my network again and now it seems to work fine again'

I have to admit I don't understand the explanation, do you?

My regards and thanks for your earlier help

Martin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.