Creating Web banner ads

Reaction score
I have designed print ads but never done any ads for the web and now I have been asked to create some web banner ads and I need to do them fairly quickly. Any suggestions for good resources and design ideas. I usually do my print ads in Illustrator but am wondering if Photoshop is better for web ads? Is the color RGB? What resolution? See, obviously this is new territory for me! Thanks for any tips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
get Bannerzest

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well since it's for Web most likely 72 DPI.

OP
A
Reaction score
I ended up using Illustrator and the "Save for Web"option that
created a .gif and my webmaster was happy but I still have a lot
to learn I think!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
I ended up using Illustrator and the "Save for Web"option that
created a .gif and my webmaster was happy but I still have a lot
to learn I think!

That is one way of doing it. Photoshop can be the better tool though, its meant more for this stuff. Saving for web is crucial no matter what though, and playing around with the settings to get the best file size/quality balance is helpful as well.

Do you have fireworks? If so, you might want to start playing in there. Its not to hard to make animated gifs with that program. Animated banners can catch more attention that static ones. I usually use a combination of photoshop and flash to make those, but fireworks will work well too. I think you can even do it with a photoshop/image ready combo, but I am not too familiar with that way.

OP
A
Reaction score
Fireworks?

Thanks! No, I don't have Fireworks - is it expensive?
At this point, I can't even imagine getting into animation -
I am still recovering from creating the "static" ones!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
Thanks! No, I don't have Fireworks - is it expensive?
At this point, I can't even imagine getting into animation -
I am still recovering from creating the "static" ones!

Its part of one of the creative suite packages, not sure which ones. I guess not the one you have.

Making animated gifs is fairly simple, all you do is make a screen for every aspect of the animation. So, if you wanted the word The to move from the left to the right of the screen, you would make a series of versions of the web banner with the word "the" moved slightly right in each one until its reaches its destination. If you are doing something complex, it could be a pain in the ***. There are other ways to do it in flash and what not, but what I am saying is pretty straight forward.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.