watching movies/videos on macbook on tv

Reaction score
Hi,
I've scoured the forums but can't find anything that answers my question specifically or is simplified enough for me to understand (I'm not so well-versed in technology).
I want to use my macbook as a DVD player in my dorm room essentially. I have a Philips TV (old, nothing fancy), but no DVD player. How can I watch my DVD's that I put into my macbook on my TV?
I bought a mini-DVI to VGA adaptor after one of the "geniuses" at my nearby Apple Store told me to. I also have RCA video cables for video and audio (the red, white, and yellow ones). But there's obviously something I'm missing.
Or maybe I need a different kind of adaptor entirely? Now I see this on the Apple website...maybe this is what I should have bought?
Apple Store (U.S.) - VGA Display Adapter

If someone can explain this clearly and tell me exactly what I need to buy, I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks so much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think you have what you need. The mini DVI port from your MacBook would have to output and adapt to a regular video cable which terminates in yellow for video, red and white for audio. The RWY end is what plugs into the input jacks of your TV. If your old Phillips TV has a VGA input (very doubtful) then the DVI to VGA adapter would work.

Now, having said the above, it would be easier and a lot less expensive to purchase a cheap DVD player at Best Buy, Circuit City, or Wal-Mart. They sell for less than $40 and you can get them for as low as $29.95. Also save wear and tear on your MacBook.

Regards.

Reaction score
I watch DVDs through my TV via my Macbook all the time, great for avi's /divx's as well. Dont bother with a DVD player, its just extra junk for your room.

Unfortunately your genius at the apple store sold you the wrong part. The Mini DVI to VGA is for a monitor, not a TV.

What you need...

A tv with Yellow/Red/White RCA plugs.
Yellow for video, Red & White for Audio. Some TVs only have yellow and red (1 video, 1 audio - this is fine). Some TVs only have a scart input, this is ok also, you just need a scart to RCA converter)

1x Apple Mini DVI to Video Adapter
-Connect to your DVI port in your MAC
1x single RCA to RCA (male to male) cable
-Connect to your DVI video Adapter and to the yellow plug in your tv.
1 x 2rca to stereo jack
- This controls your Audio, plug the stereo jack into your Mac, the 2 RCA plugs into the red and white (Audio) plugs on your tv. The colour of the actual cables is not important, it just helps you identify which cable goes in what plug.

Hope that helps.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks so much! don't want too much stuff in my room...just trying to consolidate. this worked perfectly. so much for the "genius!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.