Won't boot up

Reaction score
mackbook froze for the 1st time ever. Just brwosing and it froze I restarted it and now it won't boot up. Grey screen for a few minutes then an icon with a folder and a question mark. So now what? I did install crucial ram 2GB about a month ago so I'm gonna install the original 1GB and see if it boots up.

OP
S
Reaction score
update:

Now I get the spinning apple logo which goes for ever. Also if I hold down C in boot up I can't get to the CD. I can hold D and get to the hardware test and it all checks out good. Any ideas?

OP
S
Reaction score
another update:

Tried booting up holding T and came up with a screen with a battery logo near the bottom and what looked like a FireWire logo bouncing around the screen? This makes no sense??? Anyone with any input? I tried booting from install disk and from external backup with no luck what so ever. At this point I don't care if I lose what's on the MacBook I just want to get it working again!

I took pics with my iPhone which is where I'm posting from but I don't know how to upload them from the phone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the PRAM and NVRAM. See the following Apple KB article:

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

If that doesn't do it, you may have to take a trip to your local Apple store or repair center. Is the machine still under warranty or apple care?

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Tried everything. Wont boot from CD or external HD and tried my old ram. This tells me its something else which means $$$. Bummer I got an email about 2 months ago telling me it was my last chance for extended apple care. I though ahhh Ive never had anything worse then a HD fail so I didn't bother. Regretting it now. Anyone know prices on getting either motherboard, CPU, video card replaced? Pretty much anything other then the HD and ram?

OP
S
Reaction score
ok so Im trying to boot from the ext. HD now. Power on while holding option. The internal HD doesn't come up in the list only the external. So I select the ext. HD and it brings me to a blue screen that says I have to restart my computer in several languages. I'm so confused. Almost lois as if my internal HD is bad along with something else?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.