iMac will not boot up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Last night, I rebooted from the Boot Camp to the OS X partition and my iMac would not boot up. It still worked fine going into Windows but refused to boot into OS X. It got as far as the blue screen and then moved from the pale blue to the lighter blue and back again repeatedly. :(

I tried to boot into Safe Mode - with the same result.

I booted from the Installation Disk and did a disk repair. It said all looked OK - still no boot up.

I tried Single User Mode and did a repair with fsck - several times. It said all looked OK, but still no boot up.

I tried the other methods in my OS X books and finally was forced to do an 'Archive and Install' reinstallation. A very scary thing to have to do, but it did eventually finish and now it boots up. The only thing I lost was the selected wallpaper - which just needed to be reselected.

However, today when I attached my iPod, iTunes will not load. It says the library was created using a newer version of iTunes. I am now doing a Software Update. I hope that fixes it and that the update was not the cause of the boot up problem. I last did an update last Saturday and it worked fine until yesterday, so that is not likely.

Anyone any thoughts on what might have caused that please?

It is a 20" 1.66GHz iMac, with 4GB of RAM and 300GB harddisk. Running OS X 10.5.5 I think (the latest update until it was reinstalled).

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Software Update fixed the problem with iTunes. Not risked rebooting again yet. :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.