Awesome! Broken Screen...Applecare question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
Ok, so my screen is cracked. I am guessing that Applecare probably won't cover it....

BUT, I don't really want to pay Apple to put in a $700 screen, and I am pretty sure that if I put in a screen myself it will void the warranty/Applecare. So will Apple put in a screen that I buy...say off of eBay??

I don't think the outside of the screen is cracked, but probably the LCD portion is...I wonder if they would cover this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yeah... I don't see that happening. A 3rd-party shop might though.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, but if a 3rd party does it, it will void the Apple Care anyway....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If breaking the screen was to due to something you did and not covered under applecare, then you probably will come out ahead by doing it yourself. That will not void the warranty on the remainder of the machine, just the LCD.

If you have Apple replace the LCD at your expense, they will warrant the new LCD. Of course, expect to pay more if Apple does the job.

Also, replacing an LCD screen is not as easy as it looks. Go to iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories and get an idea of what it involves. Something else to remember is that your airport antenna assembly is behind the LCD screen.

Regards.

Reaction score
Yeah, Apple will only put in and insure a screen that they sell, I doubt they would put in a screen you bought somewhere else.

alternatively, if you really wanted you could forget the warranty and pay much less to have installed a non-Apple screen. i'm not sure how the warranty would work:if the company says they'll insure the new screen, they will, but im not sure if apple will still cover the rest of the computer (because who knows if the monitor could break the rest of it)

good luck!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sent it to iResQ. I found them on eBay. $229 and they installed the exact screen in the Macbook...I sent it out Tuesday and it is being delivered today. (shipping to me was $40 for overnight)...I will update once I get it today and let you know of my experience.

Also, iResQ will not void your AppleCare

Reaction score
I sent it to iResQ. I found them on eBay. $229 and they installed the exact screen in the Macbook...I sent it out Tuesday and it is being delivered today. (shipping to me was $40 for overnight)...I will update once I get it today and let you know of my experience.

Also, iResQ will not void your AppleCare

+1000 on iresq. Those guys are awesome. Apple wanted $1400 to replace the screen on my 15" MBP. iresq did it shipped overnight for $339.

I'd use these guys again in a heartbeat. I learned about them from the Apple store.

Reaction score
New Screen

Thanks for the info on your experience. I just bought a MBA and I am scared to death that that could happen.

Glad you got your computer back fast. It's like losing an arm not having yours around, huh? LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.