• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gaming news - Blizzard wins $6 million lawsuit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Blizzard Wins $6 Million Lawsuit
US district court rules against WoW Glider bot.

US, October 2, 2008 - A US district court has awarded Blizzard Entertainment with $6 million in a legal dispute between the developer and bot maker MDY. MDY is the company behind the Glider bot, which allowed users to automate tasks such as gold farming and menial leveling in Blizzard's popular MMO World of Warcraft.

Blizzard asserted the bot infringed upon the game's copyright issues. Judge David Campbell ruled that the bot broke the terms of the license that players accepted when they signed up to play the MMO.

According to the BBC, 100,000 copies of the Glider software were sold for $25. While Blizzard was awarded with $6 million, damages could have been higher if MDY did not defend some of its points. MDY admitted that it should pay some form of reparations, which helped its case, the BBC reported.

The two companies will return to court in January 2009 to finalize details. Concerns were raised as to whether or not the company broke the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The court will also decide whether or not MDY's founder, Michael Donnelly, should directly pay for the damages out of his own pocket.

IGN: Blizzard Wins $6 Million Lawsuit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This reminds me of something that happened with my WoW account this week. I haven't played in well over a year but got a message out of the blue from Blizzard that my account may have been compromised and I needed to change my password. I go to check things out, find the account locked. Get it unlocked and started checking things out. Find someone else's credit card tied to the account and paying for it. I log in... find my mains had better gear on them than before, but otherwise largely intact. LOL!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm glad they won this case. Bots in World of Warcraft are very annoying. It's not fair to anyone playing the game, the way it is meant to be played. It can also be a bit disruptive to gameplay from what I have experienced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm glad they won this case. Bots in World of Warcraft are very annoying. It's not fair to anyone playing the game, the way it is meant to be played. It can also be a bit disruptive to gameplay from what I have experienced.

True... they can also be a bit of fun. I was trying to grind some Argent Dawn rep one day but someone's bot was in the area farming. Once I picked up on its pattern, I would spot its target, tag it right before he hit it, then let him finish it off for me. I eventually got cursed out in broken english. Mwaahahahahah!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I hate bots in any game. I also hate key binds. I don't think it's fair, I play the games how they are intended to be played, and I'm good at it. I don't see why other people have to use scripts, bots, key binds, and other automated actions to win.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yeah, I play on a PvP server and mess with them too. I found two alliance 55 level hunters botting in Winterspring. I would kill their pet, kill them down to 10%, then let the mob kill them. So they would take durability loss. :) I also remember another botting hunter who would get to low health, then eat food after being out of combat. So I'd hit him to low health, which would make him chain eat, making his food go away faster... lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Being a WoW player, this makes me happy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.