Unsuccessful SoftwareLoading Attempt - Why?

J

Joel

I downloaded a bit of software said to be made to operate on OS-X and when I attempted the set-up (installation), I got the following message:

MacWasher® X Install Volume.1.dmg: no mountable file systems

As I have only begun to get acquainted with Mac and with OS-X in about the last 10 days, I'm completely puzzled by the message and by what it is referring to.

What does it mean? What can I do about it?

Thanks.

Joel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
thas a problem with the file you downloaded, this sounds like s antivirus/adware/spyware app, if so, there are NONE of these things on mac.

OP
J

Joel

No, it's a "scrubber" (privacy software). And it was downloaded at a made-for-Mac-software (supposedly OS-X) site.

Thanks, though.

Any other ideas about why the message and what I can do?

J.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try downloading from another site or mirror. what do you mean by privacy? just turn on your firewall and your set. there are no viruses/adware/spyware on mac, and with your FW on, no one can ever hack in. is this app even necessary?

OP
J

Joel

Thanks for the post, Driven. But what does "mountable file systems" mean? (Like I said in my original post, that's what I got as a message from my Mac about why the program would not install.)

I'm a switcher from long-term PC use, and the term means nothing to me.

I want to solve my immediate problem, but I want to understand a more general principle, so I can avoid trouble in the future or at least get out of trouble.

J.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
DRIVEN said:
incomplete download maybe?

i second that

and what macman is saying...just turn on your firewall
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Joel said:
Thanks for the post, Driven. But what does "mountable file systems" mean? (Like I said in my original post, that's what I got as a message from my Mac about why the program would not install.)

I'm a switcher from long-term PC use, and the term means nothing to me.

I want to solve my immediate problem, but I want to understand a more general principle, so I can avoid trouble in the future or at least get out of trouble.

J.
this means the file is a .dmg, when double clicked, it should mount a disc image, like a hard drive, all white, its like putting in a cd, this error means theres nothing to 'mount', an incomplete download or a corrupt original file from the site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i suggest trying to re-download it from multiple mirrors to see which mirror works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.