HELP!!!! Changed Home's name and extension...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2gigram, 320HDD 7200rpm, dual-boot with XP.
Ok I did the get info on the Home icon, and I changed the Name and Extension... I restarted my computer and I guess when I changed the name and extension it automatically made a new user. So now I have two users...my original and the one i just put a new name in for.

Why don't I just delete the one I just created? Because all my documents are still in that one.

What exactly did I do and how do I fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You didn't create a new user... you renamed your home folder and, on reboot, the system created a new one for your user because it couldn't find the "correct one" (because you renamed it). So... just move all your docs from the old (renamed) home folder to the new (correctly named) home folder.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Or rename the old folder back to the original name. Then log out and back in again.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz, 2gigram, 320HDD 7200rpm, dual-boot with XP.
Or rename the old folder back to the original name. Then log out and back in again.

That worked! Thanks a lot!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.