volume access denied error -36

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

A couple days ago i played with my volume autorizations and i accidentally put it in ''read only'' mode.

Oh and i'm running 10.4.11

When I try to change it back with my account and password, there is a warning that tells ''error code -36''

Then i tried to solve it myself by going in the root account. But even then, when i write the password with ''System Administrator'' name, it tells me again ''error code -36''

What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

By the way, sorry for my bad english. I live in a region in canada where we mainly speak french.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Bonjour M'sieur. Hey, your English is fine, perfectly clear, no worries. But the error -36 report could be caused by a number of things. Essentially it's an I/O (input/output) error.

I have to ask this - are you sure you're entering the right password at root account? I thought was just 'administrator' without the ' ' or 'system').

I think you may need to log into your computer by booting with the original Disk 1, and restore the admin settings, including password. You should also run Disk Utility from Disk 1, verify and repair if necessary. Let us know of any progress.

OP
P
Reaction score
Wow, i'm still amazed when i see people trying helping me!

Hughvane, I tried what you told me and it's still not working. I think i will go see a mac technician to figure out what's going on...

Thank you,

But what do you mean by admin setting? reseting the password? (i've done this too)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.