• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My experience with the Dell Inspiron before I bought my Powerbook

K

KKaru

Well I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop back in 99' because of all the great things I heard about Dell producs... In the two years I owned it I had to replace the DVD drive 3 times, the LCD display 3 times, the Battery 4 times, the power cord 3 times, keyboard 2 times, and the motherboard once... The fit & finish of the Inspiron compared to my Powerbook is like comparing a Hyundai to a Lexus.. Apple products are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I'll never use a non-apple product again..
Eric.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually my mum's Hyundai has lasted better than my dad's vw, which just goes to show that you can't always equate price with quality.

OP
K

KKaru

Aptmunich said:
Actually my mum's Hyundai has lasted better than my dad's vw, which just goes to show that you can't always equate price with quality.

No you can't but VWs are known to be incredibly UNRELIABLE... I was comparing Hyundai to Lexus (which was #1 for over a decade on JD power's survey for quality) and pointing out that in regard to apple you get the quality you pay for. In a lot of instances you can't equate price and quality, but here I think you can....
Eric..

OP
T

tariq

Yeah, avoid VW at all costs. They look nice, but have A LOT of problems.

I'm glad I discovered PowerBooks when I did because I was close to buying a Dell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
It was August of 2004. After doing lots of research at the end of my senior year of high school and over the summer on which laptop to get for college I was debating between the dell inspiron 8600, 600m, or an apple. I was getting conflicting feelings. Our first household computer was a performa 3600 way back in like 1992. For my bar mitzvah, I got one of the first imacs. My mom also got one. Then my mom got the new imac (the one with the swivel monitor). So we were an apple family at heart. However, since our schools used windows I had gotten used to it and was content with windows. We had a dell desktop that I used all throughout high school. Then came the dark days. Spyware, security loopholes, viruses, worms, adware, all these problems plagued windows computers. Ours was no exception. Having to go through all of these spyware software was a pain. So I really started to consider getting the mac. At first I decided to go with the Dell I figured, well this is such a tough decision, lets see, I'll probably be happy. I got it, and it was nice, but the screens resolution was like 1500x1300 or something so it was pretty small. It bothered me and you couldn't make it larger without compromising image quality. So I tried it out. Had some problems connecting wirelessly, oh and it was heavy. So I tested it for a week. Dell luckily had a 25 day guarantee, return full refund. So I did that. Then I bought the powerbook and haven't looked back. Sure there are some downsides to being the minority, such as certain websites not working for mac, ie. launch.com, msnbc video player, most online poker sites. However, that is really the only downside I can think of. The positives are endless. My name is Jeremy and I love my powerbook.

OP
S

SamR

Let's see, on my powerbook the hinges were horrible and had to be taken in and worked on, the backup battery has been replaced, the battery had to be replaced, the pram and pmu have had to be reset multiple times and it is currently on its 3rd motherboard. Oh yeah, it's 5 months old, you can't equate price and quality :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
SamR said:
Let's see, on my powerbook the hinges were horrible and had to be taken in and worked on, the backup battery has been replaced, the battery had to be replaced, the pram and pmu have had to be reset multiple times and it is currently on its 3rd motherboard. Oh yeah, it's 5 months old, you can't equate price and quality :(

i understand you're having problems and it is regretful, but i would say that your powerbook quality problems are in a minority as opposed to the majority. i've had my powerbok for a little over a year and it's great. it's definitely not as fast as some PC laptops when it comes to CPU intensive programs, but then again i don't remember seeing a 15" PC laptop that is this small with all the "stuff" that comes in a powerbook.

OP
A

agentphish

I dont have any problems with the 2 VW's I've owned, a 2000 and a 2003. Jetta and GTI respectively.
GO APPLE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
Yup I had a VW 36000 miles in 6 months no probs, if i didn't need a truck for my to get my bike to comps all over the place i would buy another one. I replaced the keyboard in my inspiron 4 times and the batery 2 times. apple

OP
S

starbot

I'm also looking for a laptop for college(specifically princeton university), and have been looking to "switch" to a 15" powerbook. The poker sites not being able to run on it is actually a PLUS! Now i won't be constantly distracted hehe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I had a Dell Inspiron before I got my MB, I will never buy a Dell again.

Problems, poor service, and the circus of repair. I had my Inspiron damaged in a repair centre, fitted with faulty parts, and a engineer who was useless.

I paid for a At-Home warranty 2 days before mine ran out, it was a wise choice. The motherboard was gone, I knew Dell were not going to fix it.

The support sucks anyway, Plus the managers are useless they have never even met the support staff.

Keyboard, touchpad 3 times,motherboard, hardrive 2 times, I finished with them a long time ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I dont have any problems with the 2 VW's I've owned, a 2000 and a 2003. Jetta and GTI respectively.
GO APPLE.

The only problem I've had with my VW is the buttons peeled off the radio. Haven't had any problems with any of my macs, or pc's for that matter, but I build my own pc's.;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.