Wireless Works - Wired Doesn't

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to Mac, long time PC person. I bought a MacBook and recently added an Airport Extreme to the inventory. I went through the process of setting up the wireless network, which works like a champ, but now my wired PC cannot access the internet. I've done the usual things of disconnecting/reconnecting the CAT 5, rebooting the PC, rebooting the cable modem, etc, with no luck so far. What am I missing?

This appears to be a pretty straight forward setup, a CAT 5 line coming from the back of the Airport Extreme to the PC. So far, no luck :( .

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does the PC work fine if plugged directly into the Cable Modem? Is the Airport Extreme set to DHCP? Is the Windows PC? I do know on Windows if the machine has Wireless active, wired will not work on my laptops unless I turn off WiFi.

OP
G
Reaction score
I haven't tried running it from the cable modem to the PC, but I'll give it a shot. However, that should work fine since it's the same line that's running to the Airport, and I can connect to the internet with my Mac.

Yep, the PC is running Windows XP and the Airport is set to DHCP. The PC does not have a wireless card, so that shouldn't be a factor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Could the PC still be trying to use dial in using your DSL modem (PPPoE) instead of just getting the internet connection using DHCP?

OP
G
Reaction score
Nope. I have cable, not DSL, and the PC was connected using DHCP with the router I was using before I got the Airport. I'm pretty stumped on this one, I have done everything short of running a line from the cable modem to the PC, which isn't the most secure thing you can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Have you tried to reboot the modem, router and PC? The PC (or other wired devices) could have an old IP lease from the previous router, (ie: 192.168.1.2), the Airport uses a Class A subnet, 10.0.1.x.

Or you can try IPCONFIG /RENEW from the DOS command prompt, but I like a reboot in cases like this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.