Windows vs Mac help!

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm looking to get a new notebook as my current one has unfortunately crapped out on me this week. :(

I'm more of a Windows woman, but I'm highly considering a Mac this time around. However, I'm not new to Macs by any means. In fact, I'm typing this from a Mac mini right now.

I'm a graphic and web designer, so I constantly have hi-end graphics apps running at once (specifically- Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash).

I've done a bit of research and this is the PC I would be getting - Multimedia Laptop Computers - Qosmio G55-Q801

Are there any mac notebooks that can compare to this? I'm looking for speed/high performance/multimedia.

Thanks for your time. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Black) 2.4 GHz, 4GB Ram
Well, you could go with the top of the line 17 - inch Macbook Pro with the optional 300 gb hard drive. It's got a slightly faster 2.6Ghz processor and an extra badass 512mb GeForce graphics card. Only downside is that it comes with only 2gb of RAM (upgradable to 4) and possibly the price but then again Macs have always been more expensive than PC's. Totally worth it in my opinion. :)

Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications Check it out for full specs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you're in the market for a Windows notebook, I would not recommend Toshiba. Very poorly made, difficult to work on and find parts for. Also, I wouldn't store any data I cared about on a Toshiba hard drive (which you'll most definitely get in a Toshiba notebook).

The 17" MacBook Pro is quite a bit more expensive, so I'd imagine you're probably not strongly considering it - but between the two machines, I think you'd be much better off with the MacBook Pro.

If you can step down to a 15" screen, Dell's XPS M1530 is an awesome Windows notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Web design, photo editing?

Macintosh would be the computer for you. Designed with you in mind as a matter of fact. The MacBook Pro (MBP) would be the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
I've got a few Macs kicking around the house... Sounds like for what you're doing a Macbook Pro would be the way to go... Although I use mine for music recording/production, I never have an issues with processing speed/power and do a little graphic design work myself without any issues. If it's within the budget, I would highly recommend going with the Pro.

Reaction score
I've done a bit of research and this is the PC I would be getting - Multimedia Laptop Computers - Qosmio G55-Q801

Are there any mac notebooks that can compare to this? I'm looking for speed/high performance/multimedia.

As far as performance, speed, and multimedia, a Macbook Pro would totally destroy that thing. A 17" Macbook Pro would have a faster processor, faster video chipset, and a higher resolution screen in a smaller (and more attractive) package. It would cost a lot more though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I think reliability should trump the price difference. I have a friend who is an art student using a pc (rare breed i know) and over time his pc has slowed down due to spyware, viruses and alike. Making it hard for him to run photoshop and video editing programs. Its a tough decision if money is a big issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Are you really a graphic designer? :)

If so, you should be down the shop buying the industry standard equipment ie. a Mac, right now!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Obviously, this being a Mac forum, opinions are going to be more than a bit biased. However, my personal opinion is that if you can tolerate Windows (I personally can not), you might as well get a Windows machine.

There is nothing you can do with a Mac that you can't do with Windows. So, it all comes down to OS preference. But as I said earlier, if you're going cheap and would consider a Vista machine, steer clear of anything made by Toshiba.

OP
D
Reaction score
wow! thanks for all the responses thus far! i think i will wait it out for the new mac laptop. i've been hearing some really great things about it so far. :)

cwa107- thanks for the tip about toshiba. a couple of people on other forums have mentioned that to me as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
MBP it is

so, i think i've decided to go with a MBP. can any1 be so kind as to suggest a good place to purchase from? :)

TYIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Apple.

Buy from Apple. Yes it may cost more, but you can get Applecare for years to come in case something unforseen happens.

P.S. Be greatful you don't get a Toshiba. My cousin got a brand new Toshiba Satellite for her birthday in July....The hard drive has needed to be replaced twice and the motherboard needed to be replaced once.....I told her mom to get a Macbook. Did she listen to me? No of course not.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If money is an issue I would totally get a MBP, having screen real estate is probably the best thing for a designer.

Plus I seem a lot more productive working on my 22" than my 13" Macbook screen.

I like the small size of the MB though, and it's just as powerful as a MBP just without the dedicated GPU which by the way a Web designer doesn't need. Dealing mostly with 72 DPI images.

Buying directly from apple would probably be the best way to go. Plus if you are still in school you get 100 bucks off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Possible new MacBook on October 14th. I'd wait until then.

Reaction score
New PC = Vista.

While I have some measure of respect for XP, Vista is garbage (unless you like having time to eat breakfast while your computer boots up).

Being forced into the world of Vista (all new PCs have it now), is what made me switch.

Yeah, MBP is pricey, too much for me. But if I was in your line of work I wouldn't blink an eye. I have never hesitated to purchase quality tools for my line of work, and you shouldn't either. It is MADE for people like you. Never skimp on the tools that pay your bills.

It should be a business tax write-off for you anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I got my MacBook from Best Buy with warranty and it works fine. The guy even knocked off $150. Nice of him, they usually don't budge. Apple or Best Buy.

OP
D
Reaction score
cool! thanks everyone. :)

I bought my last laptop from best buy. love the geek squad peepz. i think i might buy directly from apple.com tho, cuz i just found out i can get a discount from my job, plus i wanna be able to upgrade if i need to. :-D

Just 6 more days til the new MBP comes out (hopefully). I can't wait! :-D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.