• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do macs cause cancer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yeah I just saw that too... actually I was going to post it an hour ago but wast watching tv.. You beat me to it.

Anyway, I am not sure, I really don't think so, and I don't remember that smell from my Mac Pro, but I really hope its not true as I spend more time in front of my mac than anywhere else. I do all my work on it and I communicate to friends and family on it. I don't know what I'd do if it the system was leaking fumes that could kill me.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Everything gives you cancer these days. >_<"

That was an interesting read I must admit. Although I never noticed anything quite like that with any of my Mac computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Grandma's cookies give you cancer too. You guys didn't know that??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
A Mac Pro smells, the newspaper claims that the smell comes from some sort of chemical that could cause cancer, thus a Mac Pro causes cancer. Classic case of post hoc ergo propter hoc.

There's no indication of what studies the newspaper is using to back up its claims. There's no indication of the quantities needed to cause cancer. There's no clear proof that it's actually the chemical they're claiming it to be! It's either sensationalism or this "newspaper" is nothing more than a rag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Really, any other computer or electrical component can harm you if you take it in to your body for a very long time. This isn't Mac specific. Nothing to worry about really. Heck, think about the old powermacs. They used to have a nice smell to them too!!! We're all fine from those. Nothing new, nothing different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
i never noticed any smell, what they mentioned is only for the mac pro desktops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
What about the smell from the new vinyl upholstery in your new car? Carcinogenic? Who remembers a scare put out a few years ago about soy sauce and how it could cause cancer? Turned out you would need to drink about a litre of the stuff every day for a year to do any damage - probably to your liver. And the "no more msg in Asian food" scare? The guy who flared that one was allergic to Chinese food for goodness sake!

Benzene, toluene, used in petrol, highly carcinogenic - if you're in constant contact with it. Laser printers and the fumes they give off. You'd have to be locked in an unventilated room for hours on end for it to have a serious effect. I'd say that the French article was written by someone who had nothing better to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just love how they are all unnecessary jabs at Apple [/sarcasm]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'd go so far as to say 'personal agendas'. From what I've read in the last two years, SMH has always been pro-Win (which means a-Mac?). Man, until fairly recently, the BBC was semi-blind to Macs.

Reaction score
I think the article had it wrong. If you smoke your mac then you could get cancer. People should stop smoking their computers it's dangerous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the article had it wrong. If you smoke your mac then you could get cancer. People should stop smoking their computers it's dangerous.

And eating them. We're not supposed to eat them!!! Sheesh, people...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Oh, maybe that tumor I have is from my MacBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
coming from the french, it must be true

lost all credibility in my book when I saw "french".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.