macbook won't recognize password

Reaction score
I'm having issues trying to connect to the internet (I'm using a different computer right now). Our family has a wireless connection, and my mother has had no trouble connecting to it with the password. But when I type in the password on my macbook (which I know is correct), it tells me the password is wrong. I know this can't be true, and there's no way I have accidentally pushed caps lock or anything like that. What could possibly be the cause of this problem, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Is it a WEP password? I'd try changing it to WPA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the password for the router you need to change to try that, rather than something on the MacBook. How you do it depends on the software... Sorry, not being overly useful here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah ok, just saw your last post and I'm pretty much stumped. Might think of something in a minute though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try temporarily removing security from the system to see if you can gain access without a password. If you can, then you may have an old password setting in airport security that's being retained.

You can also try resetting the WPA password in the router. Of course that means you'll have to reset all the others to correspond.

Post back and let us know.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Once again, I apologize for my ineptitude with macs, but are you referring to filevault? That's all I seem to see when I go into preferences>security, and it's already off. Strangely, though, when I found a link to my airport admin utility, it told me that it could not be opened because it was either disabled or not installed. I'm not sure what that means, but I have been able to connect to open networks that weren't password protected (but I prefer to not steal someone elses!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Black) 2.4 GHz, 4GB Ram
Once again, I apologize for my ineptitude with macs, but are you referring to filevault? That's all I seem to see when I go into preferences>security, and it's already off.

Try checking keychain access out by typing in spotlight (control + space) Keychain then look if the password stored for your wireless connection is the correct one if it isn't, delete it and try connecting again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Once again, I apologize for my ineptitude with macs, but are you referring to filevault? That's all I seem to see when I go into preferences>security, and it's already off. Strangely, though, when I found a link to my airport admin utility, it told me that it could not be opened because it was either disabled or not installed. I'm not sure what that means, but I have been able to connect to open networks that weren't password protected (but I prefer to not steal someone elses!)

Sorry, I should have been specific. Go into the router and turn off all security (WEP, WPA, etc.) and allow the signal to be broadcast in the clear. As I stated in my previous post, do this only as a temporary test to see whether or not you can even get on your net. Also, you do understand when I suggested changing the password from the router firmware? Doing that will also require every machine to log on with the new password.

Filevault has nothing to do with the password which is stored in the router's firmware. It's the WPA password stored in the router which is giving you trouble.

Let me know if any of that works. If it doesn't, we can try something else.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.