Flat iMac -- Old Document Printing

M

mswansonpcs

Hello, we are a school that just upgraded our adminstration to the new model iMacs. We received the systems with 10.3.6, and updated them to 10.3.7 out of the box.

After a few days we started to get complaints that older documents were not printing. We checked, and for example an Excel document (originally created in office 2001) would open, work fine but when we go to print the print progress bar would flash for a short instant, and nothing would happen. Newly created documents in Excel print fine.

On another computer this happened in Appleworks, but at the time we thought the problem was isolated to office and thats all we targeted.

Thinking it was perhaps a System fault, we reinstalled system software -- just replaced the system folder, didn't do a clean install "yet". That didn't help the problem. We used a utility to wipe out all print settings, and restore but that didn't help. We deleted the user account, tried a new and that didn't help.

Any ideas what is wrong, i've been hearing of font corruption in os 10.3.7, could this be the cause? If so, even dumping all the fonts didn't help. We're at a loss hear.

Thanks for any advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
make sure you repaired permissions, and for these files, select them, click File>get info,
in the get info window, under the ownership section, make sure it says read&write under 'you can', then in Details drop down a little under that, click the triangle to drop down.
then make sure they both say read&write. then repair permissions, then restart.

OP
M

mswansonpcs

Macman said:
make sure you repaired permissions, and for these files, select them, click File>get info,
in the get info window, under the ownership section, make sure it says read&write under 'you can', then in Details drop down a little under that, click the triangle to drop down.
then make sure they both say read&write. then repair permissions, then restart.

Thanks MacMan
Unfortunately i already tried that, checked every office permission, actual file permission, every printer one i could find and nothing. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fonts could be a problem as you mentioned, how many fonts do you have, and how are you managing them? have you downloaded a lot of fonts?

OP
M

mswansonpcs

Macman said:
fonts could be a problem as you mentioned, how many fonts do you have, and how are you managing them? have you downloaded a lot of fonts?

Well thats the thing, the fonts are only what come from the office x and max os 10.3.6 installation. This particular computer never had os X before, the one it replaced was only running 9.2.2.

So it would have to be a corruption in the fonts that came with the computer or were installed by office, but on that same note the documents we are trying to print contain no additional features, they use the default fonts and are nothing more than calculating spreadsheets.

We're just lost here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but are you using any font management software like suitcase, or at the very least Fontbook? fonts installed with office could cause font conflicts with system fonts, or it could be a problemn with office itself. try using fontbook or whatever you use to turn off all fonts not used by the system and then turn off any fonts not required by office or not in use in the doc youre tryting to print. look at my profile for my email, if you can or want to, send me a copy of one of the files to look at.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.