Bluetooth hijacking, bluejackq-ing what's the deal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Sitting harmlessly in Starbucks today and I get about 4 popup messages from some anonymous person. They can see me, b/c they comment on my MB and again when my friend joins me. ***? I start looking around and they send another message, not to worry, that I've been "Bluejackq.com" and it's harmless.

What's up with this and how harmless is it? And can I do it, lol?!

Reaction score
First up, you need to know what Bluetooth is. There are lots of types of modern devices that incorporate the Bluetooth wireless communication system as one of their many features. PDAs, mobile phones and laptops are a few of these modern devices. Bluetooth means that Bluetooth enabled devices can send things like phonebook/address book contacts, pictures & notes to other Bluetooth enabled devices wirelessly over a range of about 10 metres.

So, we've got past the boring part. Now, using a phone with Bluetooth, you can create a phonebook contact and write a message, eg. 'Hello, you've been bluejacked', in the 'Name' field. Then you can search for other phones with Bluetooth and send that phonebook contact to them. On their phone, a message will popup saying "'Hello, you've been bluejacked' has just been received by Bluetooth" or something along those lines. For most 'victims' they will have no idea as to how the message appeared on their phone. So, personalised messages like 'I like your pink top' and the startled expressions that result is where the fun really starts.

That, my friends, is the basic answer to 'What is bluejacking?'

why dont you just turn bluetooth off then? if its not on, they cant see you.

http://www.bluejackq.com/

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks. I was using wifi to work, so i didn't want to turn it off. should i have been concerned?

Reaction score
you shouldnt need bluetooth on if your using wireless unless there is something i dont know.

and no, assuming they are following the bluejacking code, you have nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Airport (=wireless ethernet) is not the same as bluetooth (~wireless USB).

If you need to leave bluetooth on for some reason, you can also prevent this from happening by only allowing paired devices to send you files in the bluetooth System Preferences.

But as mentioned above, just switch it off if you're not using bluetooth... you'll also save battery life.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Airport (=wireless ethernet) is not the same as bluetooth (~wireless USB).

OMG, you're right, I was confusing the two. I know better. Thanks for the reminder. That was silly.

But as mentioned above, just switch it off if you're not using bluetooth... you'll also save battery life.

I didn't know that, though. Thanks. Anythiing that saves battery life is great in my book.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But... does anyone know if I can do it from my MB?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
i dont believe you can, whenever i connect to another bluetooth device it makes me enter in a password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.