Backup HDD onto a PC?

Reaction score
Is there any way to backup a Mac Mini HDD onto a PC? I tried all the pre-installed backup apps a while back (can't remember which ones), but they wouldn't allow saving the backup to a network location... (network location being a PC with Windows XP).

Part of the issue, I think, is that there isn't enough free space on the Mac's HD to just save the backup image there, then transfer it via the network.

Any ideas? Is there some program or something that will allow a good, clean backup onto a PC, via the network connection? Or will an external USB hard drive work on a Mac? (presently hooked into a PC)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
There are preinstalled back up apps?

External drive should be fine. What are you backing up with?

Reaction score
Hello

I don't yhink in your case any preinstalled appz will work because as every software if it has a feature that isn't focused on the main feature of the oftware will not be 100 % working properly.
From that you should use a backup software that is trusted and secured.
I am using Dmailer Backup ? Portable Mac & free PC Backup Software ?Secure file protection to backup my HDD , and i am using it since 2 years ago and i didn't had any problems with it , and it also spared some time because is a fast backup / restore software , and the feature to store the backup online is simply awesome.

You should give it a try and post again if it worked or not , or if you figured it out in other way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
I don't yhink in your case any preinstalled appz will work because as every software if it has a feature that isn't focused on the main feature of the oftware will not be 100 % working properly.
From that you should use a backup software that is trusted and secured.
I am using Dmailer Backup ? Portable Mac & free PC Backup Software ?Secure file protection to backup my HDD , and i am using it since 2 years ago and i didn't had any problems with it , and it also spared some time because is a fast backup / restore software , and the feature to store the backup online is simply awesome.

You should give it a try and post again if it worked or not , or if you figured it out in other way.

not clear, is it free ?! and with it you can backup to networked pc ? (i have a Sony Vaio and it has plenty of space.. this MacBook: not so much space for back and have not yet had the funds to get an external drive)

tks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.