Leopard + WEP Key WiFi = Bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody OS X SL
I actually just got done with a horrible ordeal involving my Macbook Pro, running OS X 10.5.5. I had been freaking out for about a month trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer because all web related applications would load HORRIBLY slow, more often than not timing out.
After removing my WEP encryption key for my wireless, all my problems went away. Everything loads fast like it used to, and I am very happy again.
So, I think it is safe for me to say Leopard + WEP = DEATH
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
WEP is horrible anyway and totally non-secure (extremely easy to crack). You should be using WPA.

Glad you fixed your problem though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
WEP is horrible anyway and totally non-secure (extremely easy to crack). You should be using WPA.

Glad you fixed your problem though.

Agreed. WPA is the way to go. Don't just turn off all security

Oddly a lot of newer Mac kit seems to have issues with WEP.

Reaction score
WPA is actually WORSE with this problem. I know just what the OP is talking about. The only way wifi works with leopard on my macbook is with no key at all. Otherwise it won't connect on wake or start, and drops the connection constantly. It really sucks and has lowered my opinion of apple a great deal.

This is a widespread issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
My Macbook has problems with WPA. I get frequent disconnects when my router is on WPA. I must use WEP instead so it will not disconnect me randomly.

I wish I could use WPA but I guess WEP is better than nothing.

Reaction score
Well, yeah, it is, but...

It is so easily hacked from just gathering packets.

You almost would be better off just using mac filtering on the router. Sure a mac address can be spoofed, but a wep key is just as easily cracked, and the key whether wep or wpa seems to cause the issue with leopard. Very irritating. After looking at apple discussions I am really upset to see THOUSANDS of post from people complaining about this issue. People who have no such problems on the same network with their windows machines. People who didn't have the problem with tiger. It is a leopard issue, plain and simple. Yet apple seems to be pretending it doesn't exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Forgot to add that I am still using Tiger. No Leopard here.

Reaction score
New to Mac but it was one of the worst ordeals setting up my I Book with my network. Probably didn't know what I was doing but in the long run got it fixed and I am running leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.