Folder in Trash won't Trash

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals i was wondering if you could help me out. I recently lent my external hard drive to a friend who just bought an iMac and needed to transfer stuff from his macbook and pc to his new iMac and when i got it back there was a folder on it that he said he didnt need. So i deleted it. Except everytime i try to empty my trash it sits there saying that i cannot delete this folder because i dont have enough permissions. Now, its not a big deal, the folder is 0 KB but its ANNOYING to have my trash always full and continuously telling me i dont have permissions to empty my own trash.

Ive googled it and tried all the instructions here (www.osxfaq.com -Tutorials - HowTo - Trash - page2) And also tried everything on the first page including FileXaminer and Supergetinfo both of which do nothing. FileXaminer asks me for my password and then nothing happens and Supergetinfo just tells me the same thing.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Information you may need to know:

I am running Leopard 10.5.5 on an iMac, it is my own Mac and i am the only user on the mac. When i do "Get Info" on the folder in the trash it says that i can "read & write" but unlike other folders i cant open the lock and do maintenance on the folder, and if i try hitting the "lock" ticker (which is not ticked) nothing happens, no check mark or anything. If i try and drag the folder out of the trash a copy of the folder goes to my desktop (which i can do maintenance on) but the original folder that i dont have "permissions" remains in the trash. PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sorry if this is something you've tried but does holding Option down when empting work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I'd take it out of the trash, and Get Info. Try changing the permissions and then trashing it.

OP
K
Reaction score
@mrplow: Yes, that was one of the first things i read and tried... to no avail :S Thanks tho!

@skaheadpunk: When i try taking the folder out of the trash only a copy of the folder moves to the desktop and the original that i can't do anything (ANYTHING!!!) with remains there. If i do Get Info on the folder i dragged to the desktop i have full authority over it and can delete it and empty THAT folder from the trash but the original that was there is still there :(

PS Skaheadpunk your avatar is awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

That should do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.