Ram upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.16ghz intel core duo , 30gb ipod, 16 gb 3g iphone,PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 1Gb ram
Iam currently upgrading the ram on my Imac. I have heard many diffrent versions of how i can do this. Iam confused so iam coming to you guys for help. My imac can take a total of 3gb. So i ordered 1-1gb stick. and 1-2gb stick. Now i have read certain stuff about matched sticks? unmatched sticks? And then i have read i can actually Upgrade to 4gb and it would not slow down the imac or cause any disruption in my system. Please advise. I have not made then install yet. Thanks so much guys..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Try looking it up on Crucial's site, they're usually pretty good at telling you what you need for your model, and obviously you can buy it from almost anywhere.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.16ghz intel core duo , 30gb ipod, 16 gb 3g iphone,PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 1Gb ram
thanks

Thats were i bought it. They scaned my system and they i bought what came up as i described earlier. But then i read some articles about matching and unmatching sticks affected the speeds. I ,ight just be second guessing the way i made my purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I had 2x1GB and upgraded to 1x1GB + 1x2GB. It's true you lose performance because they are not longer paired. But the extra GB makes up for it and then some. The system as a whole is faster. A very good investment.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I had the same problem as you but in MBP land. The simple answer is the machine only reads 3GB but 4GB is faster. It is apparently 8-15% faster.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had 2x1GB and upgraded to 1x1GB + 1x2GB. It's true you lose performance because they are not longer paired. But the extra GB makes up for it and then some. The system as a whole is faster. A very good investment.

See this is were i get lost. Were do i exactly loose performance? and how is it made up if its lost? Sorry if i am a little slow with this. thanks

Reaction score
Well, its similar to a highway. Matched pairs will operate in dual channel mode, basically giving you two lanes of traffic through the highway. If you put an unmatched pair in then it shuts down one lane and you have less throughput, however, by adding an extra gigabyte, you effectively have enough memory space to negate the lost throughput.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
got ya thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.