is there a replacement for google maps

Reaction score
The Iphone 3g has just been released in my country, South Africa, only problem is that maps function hardly covers South Africa, is there a way to replace this software to something from Garmin which has a greater coverage for my country.

Thanks Antony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Not yet, hopefully soon.

I know alot of us are also waiting for a offline app so you donèt have to have cell service to use the GPS.

OP
B
Reaction score
please please PLEASE send me an message when it comes out, I agree with you re the offline app as it is extremely expensive to use cell service in South Africa.

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
I have to say I'm very surprised google maps dosnt cover africa being as there spending millions on internet services for there.

Reaction score
There actually is a offline version out, if you would consider jailbreaking your phone you can download this software. I'm not really sure what it's called right now, but I'm pretty sure I saw it in Installer (app you get after jailbreaking).

OP
B
Reaction score
Dudeking, glad to hear that Google is spending millions here, the internet works great although its expensive however google maps says that I live on a rock on the mountain where the nearest road is 1 km away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
yeah that's all to do with the phone network around where you live i believe. I think it uses IP tracking and triangulation to find you location

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
yeah that's all to do with the phone network around where you live i believe. I think it uses IP tracking and triangulation to find you location

Nah, if it is a iPhone 3G like he says it does have GPS however it still needs to communicate with google maps over the internet to show you were you are on the map.

OP
B
Reaction score
exactly Noxian, it gets the perfect position but the roads are sometimes not there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Check the AppStore for alternatives to Maps, or use one of the web-based services out there...

They won't have GPS functionality though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.