• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Working on an old PowerPC G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power PC G4, 867 MHz, 640 MB of memory, Bus speed = 133 MHz, GeForce2 MX video card by NVIDIA
Hi, I am on a PowerPC G4 which I bought in 2001. I installed iLife 08 on it, so I have the upgraded iPhoto software, but apparently i need to have a G5 or Intel processor in order to use iMovie 08. Thus, I'm stuck with iMovie 06. When I first bought the computer, I could use Adobe Premiere, but Leopard doesn't let me use Premiere (whereas Tiger OSX did), so that's why I'm using iMovie. Anybody else have this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Others might be interested in knowing what you mean by; "Leopard doesn't let me use Premiere". Can you not install it? If you can, does it crash or hand in some fashion during startup or use? I know it isn't the current version which is Intel only, so what version of Premiere are you talking about?

I'm just curious, but perhaps a little more information might bring in an experienced Premiere user to your request for information.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power PC G4, 867 MHz, 640 MB of memory, Bus speed = 133 MHz, GeForce2 MX video card by NVIDIA
Hello xstep. I have Premiere installed, and I was able to open it when I was running Tiger. But now that I'm running Leopard, it tells me that it's a classic application. I get the message: "The application "Adobe Premiere 6.0 cannot be launched." And I get an error number 10828.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Leopard does not run Classic apps full stop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
One option might be to install Tiger on a partition or an external drive.

Another might be an OS 9 emulator as mentioned here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G4 you would be pretty disappointed with any emulator as they are so slow! Have you considered updating Premiere to Leopard as this link says:-

Leopard Coverage: Adobe’s Plans for Leopard | MacApper

Another option with the 867 may be two drives, one set up with OS 9.2.2 to run your programs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new Premiere for OS X is Intel only.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, thanks for your answers. I will try running OS9 on an external drive and see what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.