Image Viewing Software

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently moved from Ubuntu Linux to Mac OS X 10.5 (mac book pro). I have felt the need for a lightweight image viewing software in OS X.

I have 25 GB of photos which I stored /User/daniel/Pictures.

If I import them to iPhoto, iPhoto creates an extra copy in its own folder, meaning that two copies of the same photos exist. (Am I right in assuming this ..please correct me if I wrong ).

If I open a folder with lots of photos, I want an ability to just view one pic and then after do a slide show type of thing. There are bunch of software in Linux and pretty sure that max has too. Its just that I don't know them.

Please advise me to overcome this problem of managing my photos of 25 GB.

Many Thanks.

Reaction score
There is an option under preferences for iPhoto. Uncheck the box that copies imported photos to the iPhoto library. This is why you're getting duplicates.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If I open a folder with lots of photos, I want an ability to just view one pic and then after do a slide show type of thing. There are bunch of software in Linux and pretty sure that max has too. Its just that I don't know them...

You can't do that in Preview?

OP
D
Reaction score
So can it be done using iPhoto ,i.e. open a picture in a folder and enable slide show. I have a strong feeling that there should be something in mac, (either in iPhoto or some other app).

Any comments.. ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi diffuser78, I believe that what you want is Xee, a nice image viewer along the lines of Linux's feh or qiv - you can open an arbitrary image in a folder of images and then navigate back and forth through other images as you like.

You may also wish to see JustLooking, which I mention in this thread. It has similar attributes, and in addition is color space aware, as Preview is.

I agree with you - I don't like either Preview or iPhoto for routine image viewing, but then I came to Mac from Linux as well.

Since you are a convert from Linux, you may wish to see my Linux to Mac Switchers Guide. I haven't updated it in a year or so now, but it is still pretty relevant to the recent switcher. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Haven't got my Mac with me at the moment but from memory you can select a bunch of images in finder, open them in preview, then hit CMND+F for a fullscreen slideshow.

OP
D
Reaction score
Haven't got my Mac with me at the moment but from memory you can select a bunch of images in finder, open them in preview, then hit CMND+F for a fullscreen slideshow.

That worked for me. Thanks. But I will also evaluate other alternatives too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
You might like to check out -

PicturePopPro

Its very handy being only a right click away and works with RAW files too, I had a dig around on the website to see if it supports ICC profiles but couldn't find any info.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
iView media pro is also a nice app for photo viewing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
iView

exists no longer. iView was purchased by Microsoft and is being sold as part of the Expressions Suite. You can buy Expressions Media 2 (digital imaging program) as a separate stand alone program. After switching to Mac I was in dire need of such a program. I tried Mediadex but (for me) it was flaky and had zero support. So far, EM2 has been stable, tons of support and works well for me.

Reaction score
I use Phoenix Slides. Small, simple, easy to use.
There are tons of slideshow apps. Do a search at macupdate.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5GHz, 17-inch glossy screen
Hi diffuser78, I believe that what you want is Xee, a nice image viewer along the lines of Linux's feh or qiv - you can open an arbitrary image in a folder of images and then navigate back and forth through other images as you like.

I would like to second this recommendation.

I come from years of PC use and when I switched to a MacBook Pro, I went searching for all the accessory programs I'd come to rely on. For image viewing, I've always liked ACDSee... in fact, I use the simpler version 2.43 more often than ACDSee Pro 2.

In trying out all the Mac viewers I could find that came close to ACDSee, I settled -- gladly -- on Xee. Great little program.

Don

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Before iview media pro I did use Xee, but found it to be very unstable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Xee has one big fault - it is not color space aware. So, if your image has an embedded color profile, even sRGB, Xee renders the colors all wrong. I keep Xee around for casual image viewing, but when I want to view my digital photo albums, I now use JustLooking which is the closest I can come to Xee with color space awareness.

OP
D
Reaction score
Xee has one big fault - it is not color space aware. So, if your image has an embedded color profile, even sRGB, Xee renders the colors all wrong. I keep Xee around for casual image viewing, but when I want to view my digital photo albums, I now use JustLooking which is the closest I can come to Xee with color space awareness.

Hey dude..Just Looking is what I was Just Looking for. Awesome and light weight viewer. Preview should be more versatile and more options should be included.

Thanks a zillion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.