Linking PC - to Mac

S

sivp

There might be a thread of this already, but i couldn't find it here..

Does anyone know if I can connect a pc running Windows XP Pro through eithernet cable to my mac and be able to use the pc harddrives from my mac? Bascially having extra 500 gigs extra..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you mean using the pcs hd as an external hd? I dont think you can, you could network the two and share the pcs space that way, but besides that, I am pretty sure you cant, one reason, the pcs hd format would need to be mac os extended to be used as an extra drive on the mac.

OP
S

sivp

Ok.. so I tried networking them..

I made a crossover cable from a standard eithernet cable and it's working, since i have internet on the pc from the mac.. But i can't seem to get the pc to connect to any network..

I'm pretty sure i know what I'm doing cause i made networks to the same pc before.. But after i connect it through the mac, it doesn't click (Internet works though)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Did you go into the network folder, you have to authenicate with a password every time you want to get into the PC files. This becomes a pain in the butt, but what can you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Go in the System Preferences in the Mac and go into Sharing. Make sure windows sharing is turned on and it will give you the address to connect from your PC

OP
J

jam1

do i use a cross cable or a straight cable to connect between the ethernet ports of the mac and a PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
jam1 said:
do i use a cross cable or a straight cable to connect between the ethernet ports of the mac and a PC?

Crossover.

Similar devices use crossover. (computer to computer, switch to switch)
Unlike devices use straight thru (switch/router to computer)

Turn on file/print sharing on the PC, turn on Windows sharing on the mac.

You have to assign a static IP to each computer unless you're plugged into a router that assigns IP via DHCP. If no DHCP server available,
Use 10.0.1.1 and 10.0.1.2, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and no gateway.

Access the PC by CMD-K from Finder, type in SMB://ipaddress or CIFS://ipaddress followed by /C$ (or D$ for d drive, etc)

If you have a username password, enter it in the authentication window. If you don't, enter username and leave pw blank. Be sure to fill in the appropriate WG name as well.

OP
B

brewcityjay

This dosent answer your question but I just bought a Linksys router to split my cable connection to my sons PC, but it is super slow. Whats the deal? How can I speed things up, I know there has to be a way.

sivp said:
Ok.. so I tried networking them..

I made a crossover cable from a standard eithernet cable and it's working, since i have internet on the pc from the mac.. But i can't seem to get the pc to connect to any network..

I'm pretty sure i know what I'm doing cause i made networks to the same pc before.. But after i connect it through the mac, it doesn't click (Internet works though)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.