Uploading Images onto an iPhone

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
One of my buddies is an artist like myself. He had uploaded a bunch of images of his tattoo work onto his iPhone. I didn't get an opportunity to talk to him at length about it, but I was wondering would it be smart to save space on an 8gig iPhone and make the images 72dpi?

I don't know if lowering the resolution will kill the quality of the image when viewing it on such a small space.

Alot of my images that are on my computer are hi-res, around 150 - 300 dpi.

Any suggestions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I owned an iPod touch for a little while and I scaled down 300DPI graphic images to 72DPI and it still looked pretty darn good on the iPod Touch display.

You might try 1 image, scale it down and see what it looks like on your computer and then transfer it to the iPhone, that way you can see the quality, if it's up to par, then you could resize the rest. :)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I would certainly resize - 300dpi (actually ppi) is a print resolution NOT a monitor resolution

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Most image viewers, including the iPhone/iPod, don't tend to care about DPI. They just display the pixels. Further, if you are using iTunes to do the loading, doesn't it preprocess the photos it is loading, "optimizing" them for the display? Personally, I just take my normal full size photos, put them in a unique folder and point iTunes at that folder and tell it to sync photos from there. It does the necessary work and the results look great on my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
As everyone else replies, it will be fine. Just remember that when (if?) you zoom in to check out any image detail, the image will distort (pixelate)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Most image viewers, including the iPhone/iPod, don't tend to care about DPI. They just display the pixels. Further, if you are using iTunes to do the loading, doesn't it preprocess the photos it is loading, "optimizing" them for the display? Personally, I just take my normal full size photos, put them in a unique folder and point iTunes at that folder and tell it to sync photos from there. It does the necessary work and the results look great on my iPhone.

As mac57 has pointed out, it's a moot point as iTunes will convert the pictures for the iPhone before being synced. No need to go through the extra effort to do it yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.