• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

A Mysterious Lack of Sound in iMovie...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, OS 10.5
This is kind of a long story...
I have a sony camcorder, and, as has been suggested to me, I transcoded my muxed mpeg video files to mp4 using VLC.

When I play the clips in Quicktime, all is well... but... when I import them into iMovie, the sound disappears on me.

I have checked all the likely culprits, like clip volume, etc. I even tried extracting the audio... which produced a sound clip that looked as though it should have been well... soundy... but remained silent.

Is there a solution for this... or am I screwed? Please help?!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook, OS 10.5
update:

forgot to mention that the process I mentioned above (transcoding and importing into iMovie...) HAS worked for me before. This hasn't happened before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Several people have had different sound issues lately. I think after upgrading QuickTime. Search the forum. I think the solution was to remove or upgrade a third party codec.

Also, when playing in QT, do a command-I to see the information on the file. There you can see the codecs being used. Perhaps the audio codec isn't right for the video codec according to some internal iMovie rule.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo--2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I had the same problem and I downloaded iSquint and had it covert the files to an MP4 and it works for me now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.