Partial emptying of trash ?

Reaction score
Is there a way to select certain files in the trash and delete them, say like SHIFT-F12 in XP ?

I don't want to empty the entire trash right now but a lot of it can go.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Is there a way to select certain files in the trash and delete them

In short - no. It's been an oft-mentioned topic. Basically, it means dragging the files you don't want to delete out of the Trash, putting them in a separate folder on the desktop meantime, emptying the Trash, and then putting the saved files back in to delete later. Alternatively, put those files you do want to delete in a separate folder on the desktop etc, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I never quite understood why people have things in the trash they don't want to delete - if I want it, it's filed away somewhere else, if I don't it's gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I never quite understood why people have things in the trash they don't want to delete - if I want it, it's filed away somewhere else, if I don't it's gone.

Yeah, I am with you on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One in all in lol! One out all out!

Reaction score
"I never quite understood why people have things in the trash they don't want to delete - if I want it, it's filed away somewhere else, if I don't it's gone."

Regrettably, some of us are immigrants from the justifiably dreaded Windows that has many features , like partial emptying of trash, that are substantially more flexible than the Mac OS. Accordingly, we operate with the naive (we actually believe those Mac - Windows ads on TV that suggest that Mac is superior to Windows in virtually every way) assumption that we can do with Macs with impunity what we regularly do with Windows. Too bad it ain't so...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.