Fresh Install Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Guys,
I am looking to do a fresh install on my eMac, and seem to have hit a wall!

I have just fitted my eMac with a new Super Drive (Pioneer) and a WD 200GB Hard Disk, the Superdrive is Master, and the Hard Disk is on CS (the previous Combi/40GB setup had both drive on CS, but I read somewhere that the Super Drive needs to be on Master to boot disks).

I am messing around with a Leopard disk image until I can lay my hands on the two discs that apparently came with the eMac, but won't get them for a couple of days.

When I boot the eMac with no DVD in the drive, I get a blue flashing folder with question mark and the Mac face, if I use the image I burnt on my PC, using TransMac, it spins up and goes so far, I then get a grey screen telling me that my machine needs to be restarted, and I can get no further than this.

I still only have the 256MB in there which came with the machine when I got it last week, I have ordered a couple of 1GB sticks, is the low amount of RAM what is causing the problem, or is it the fact I burnt the DMG file on a PC under TransMac?

Failing all the above, do I just need those discs that came with the machine???

Cheers,
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You don't need the ones that came with the machine, you probably just need a proper copy of the OS - any retail version.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmm, Having read around it is clear that DMG images of OSX are clearly frowned upon, apologies if I am being a nasty pirate... I am just trying to get the eMac running after I pulled it apart!

I partitioned the 200GB WD in Vista using MacDrive7.2, I gave it a 40GB partition for the OS, and the rest over to file storage, the 40GB formatted as HFS, and the other partition as HFS+, once I get my hands on those two original discs, will the OS that was on the original 40GB drive install onto the new 40GB partition without problems?

I guess what I am asking is if I have stuck a blank Mac formatted HD in there, and I am getting the folder/face thing, then the machine is running OK, right?!

Cheers,
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go and buy an OS X disc, X.4 Tiger will install ion an eMac 800MHz and less, OS X.5 Leopard on 1GHz and over. Put the drive in your eMac and format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and install on that.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, I figured it out!

Looks like you can create a bootable Mac DVD on a PC, despite pretty much every site I came across saying it was impossible.

What I had done wrong before was the DMG file was compressed! Simply right click in TransMac and uncompress first, then burn the new uncompressed image at maximum speed, and hey presto, it works fine in the Mac.

I got my 2GB of RAM, which is working fine and the Leopard installer has got me far enough to be sure that my upgrad of both Super Drive and WD 200GB are working fine, so I am over the moon.

I will probably now wait for the real Mac discs, and install from there, but this relatively inexpensive upgrade has made me really chuffed!

Cheers,
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They will not be Leopard, either Panther X.3 or maybe Tiger X.4. Go and buy Leopard DVD!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where did you get this Leopard Image DMG? This looks like you are pirating leopard to me and I am going to close the thread as we do not allow piracy in any way here at Mac Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.